Housebreaking pomeranian puppy in the cold Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Meridy, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Meridy

Meridy New Member

Name:
    Meridy

Housebreaking pomeranian puppy in the cold

We have just welcomed a 10 week old baby girl in our family. We live in New Hampshire and it is cold, cold, cold. When I take her outside she just shivers. Anyone have tips for helping with housebreaking? With past dogs( much larger, cold loving dogs) we could walk around 15 minutes or so until they took care of buisness. This little girl whimpers and cries for us to pick her up after a couple minutes. We really don't want to use puppy pads. Thanks for the help in advance:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My opinion, for what it is worth, is that such a young tiny puppy would be better off kept out of the cold, especially if your home is warm with central heating. The sudden change in temperature from indoors to outdoors and then back in again might be detrimental to her health.

I used puppy pads for little Tikva because she was so very young and tiny when I got her. And I will still put one down if it is bucketing down heavily with rain because she will not go out at such times. Having been almost permanently soaked to the skin [and falling over because of the wet ground] when house-training Pereg - who arrived during our rainy season - and having wet clothes draped everywhere [no central heating], I am not prepared to go through the same thing again.
  4. Meridy

Meridy New Member

Name:
    Meridy
    Thank you for the feedback. I guess I was worried she would always prefer the pads which isn't my preference.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not think she will, but at the moment I really think you should use them and not try to make your little bubba go out when it is obviously far too cold for her.

Once Tikva was able to go out she far preferred to do so than use the puppy pads, but as I said, I will still put one down if it really is raining heavily. She does not mind the cold but she does not like heavy rain and I do not blame her.