My new 'old dog' Rescue

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by NurseAnn, Jan 9, 2018.

1. NurseAnn

NurseAnn New Member

Name:
    Ann

My new 'old dog'

I rescued and 11 yr old male min pin last Friday. I'm accustomed to larger dogs . . . but we're going to be just fine, eventually. I've got a crate question. I've never crated my dogs but was told at the shelter that he was accustomed to being kenneled at night (and, as I work nights that's not a horrible thing). Every night though, he is urinating on his blankets or kennel pad (he doesn't defecate in the kennel). We'll see my vet on Thursday, and I'll probably ask for a urinalysis just to be sure nothing's wrong (but the vet at the shelter didn't think that he had any issues in that area). He is older, and has anxiety issues. He got some anxiety related behaviors that they (shelter director and vet) felt were from being in the shelter with all the related noise / activity. We'd all anticipated that they would resolve in a quieter environment, time will tell (fly catching ~ snapping at the air). He takes some CBD oil to help with anxiety (prescribed by shelter vet). I'm looking for advice on how to break this urinating in his kennel. I do take him outside immediately before putting him in the kennel when I leave for work and give him a small treat. I leave for work @10:30, and am home between 7:30 / 8 am. He did pee inappropriately the first day home from the shelter, but not since -- with the exception of night-time / on kennel bedding. No other dogs in the house at this time (my last senior rescue died at Christmas time, after 17 months here), I do have two adult cats - and was told that he's lived with cats previously (and they don't seem to bother him at all). Thanks for any input / advice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Hello NurseAnn, welcome to the forum, and well done on being one of the people who are prepared to take on an older rescue.
    It is still very early days with your Min. Pin. and I hope he will be dry in his crate once he has settled in. I can empathise as my, 'second owner', girl suffers from spay incontinence, and it has taken a long time to sort out the best way of handling her condition. Like your boy, this only happened at night, so to begin with I just bedded her on old towels, which were able to just go into the washing machine the following morning. As yours is a male, at least he isn't peeing through the crate, that would be a greater problem I think. However, you sound as if you know what you are doing, and if the wetting doesn't settle, a urine test is the best first move. If this is clear, there are lots of holistic and drug options to try - Propolin usually being the drug of first choice.
    Good luck with your oldie, I hope the fly-catching settles too. Do add a photo and a name to your thread.
  4. NurseAnn

NurseAnn New Member

Name:
    Ann
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    E5F3786D-71E4-466B-B857-3FAB4EE6E243.jpeg Charlie — who’s stolen Cassandra the cat’s favorite spot on the back of the sofa
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh bless him! He doesn't look eleven. I wonder what they think when they are rehomed? It takes time for them to actually 'own' their new home, it is only when you look back that you realise just how uncertain they were when they first came.
  6. NurseAnn

NurseAnn New Member

Name:
    Ann
    CaroleC likes this.
    LOL, technically he's still 10 ~ his birthday's in March. Other than a few gray hairs and the early cataracts, he truly doesn't look 11.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Ann and welcome to you and little gorgeous Charlie from Tikva and from me :039:

And thank you so much for giving a home to an older dog who needed one.