How to help neglected rottweiler Rescue

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Margetart, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Margetart

Margetart New Member

Name:
    Peg vandyne
    Chris B likes this.

How to help neglected rottweiler

hi all. Brand new to this forum. I am a proud Golden Retriever Mom. However, I love all dogs and animals in general!
    I have a tricky situation. We are new to Texas and live in a small town. Right down the road from us I noticed a young Rottweiler tied out. When we walked our Golden by the pup it was very shy. Then one day it was gone. I didn't see it for a month. A week or so later right around the corner I saw a small/young Rottweiller running loose in a field. We started leaving it food and water. It would never get close to us. Now after 3 months,of feeding in same spot it will get about 6 feet from my husband. I thought it was the missing neighbors Rottweiler...but I've since found out it is feral. We continue to feed it morning and evening. Here's the tricky part. The neighbor is keeping their Rottweiler in an old metal shed. No windows. We heard it crying...we never see it out. The animal control here won't help. I want to rescue it...I am just heartbroken. I need to make this a bit clearer: There are 2 Rottweilers. The feral one we feed and the abused one. My neighbor speaks very little English. Don't know them. Advice please.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I don't know which part of Texas you are in, but I believe it is a little larger than than the UK.:005:
    I just did a search for,
    Animal Welfare, Texas, and Animal Welfare Officers, Texas. There do seem to be a few organizations, but I don't know which would be the most appropriate.
    Alternatively, you could try contacting the American Rottweiler Club's Rescue Foundation, and ask for their advice. www.amrottclub.org
    Good luck. I agree, both these dogs need help.
  4. ka_cheongliu

ka_cheongliu New Member

Name:
    Ka
    I experience much of the same in China. Most dogs that are kept as guard dogs are chained up 24/7 on a very short chain. They are not trained and worse still, they are never shown any kind of love or care. I see owners beating their dogs with a stick when they're out on walks just because the dog doesn't listen to every command. I try my best to educate these people but its a loosing battle.

One morer thing in China is that people steal dog for food because they believe dog meat is good for health, especially during the winter.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if you could approach one of the welfare organisations to ask if they could assist you with a request to rehome the dog to you? They may have someone who could act as an intermediary to help you to get this guy transferred to you. Maybe worth approaching them. Nothing to lose, all to gain if it works out
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    It must be so difficult for dog lovers in your country to see such abuses.
  7. ka_cheongliu

ka_cheongliu New Member

Name:
    Ka
    To be honest most don't care.
  8. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I see dogs smacked and kicked and snatched around on prong collars all the time here too. I'm numb to it now. There's nothing I can do. There are laws against it of course, but the local PD and AC don't care enough to enforce them.

Try to "rescue" someone else's dog at your own risk. It's often legal for owners to use lethal force in such an invasion to protect themselves and their property from theft or harm. And even in cases where it isn't legal, the property owner is not likely to care... Especially not in Texas.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It's all so very sad. It really does beg the question of why people get dogs when they have no intention of treating them with the respect they deserve :(
  10. ka_cheongliu

ka_cheongliu New Member

Name:
    Ka
    I also use a prong collar but I only pull on it when we get into a situation where I need more control, such as when there are unfriendly stray dogs around. I hate people kicking dogs, there is no excuse for it and these people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs.

I'm not a perfect dog owner but I try to be.
  11. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    State law mandates that dogs are physical property. This is why laws regarding their mistreatment are lax and why police don't truly care.

You would have to beat a tiny dog to death in broad daylight in front of tons of people to even stand a chance at any real criminal charges. And even if convicted, would serve only a few months max.

The maximum sentence is 5 years, but over the past decade or two, only one or two people I believe in the ENTIRE state (like 700k people) have served federal time for animal abuse.

Chris, the dogs are chained (illegal but not enforced) or kept in small outdoor yards. Their job is to bark if they hear an intruder and to bite if they SEE one.

They are kept alive with food etc, but as they are only there as an alarm and attack system, they are not treated as more. They are kept isolated and are never socialized to ensure they never become friendly and given harsh bite work training oftentimes.

You may be live they deserve respect, but you will never get that through to them. They believe dogs are our servants and are lesser beings and they will treat them as such regardless.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    and we think of ourselves as the superior species. What a sad World we live in :(