Going grey Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by suey, Sep 16, 2017.

1. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue

Going grey

Do black Schnauzers go grey with age ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I believe that many blacks do have a few white hairs in their coat, and show people will pluck them out when they are stripping the coat. I haven't heard of a black turning completely grey with age, but I suppose that, like most other breeds, they would develop some frosting as they age. Eddie Beagle was originally a really rich tricolour but now, at nine, is several shades lighter. @Pork1epe1 may have more in depth knowledge about the black coats.
  4. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    If a black dog is clipped, the answer is usually YES, it will lighten up. Some blacks have color that is so intense that they will maintain their color no matter what, but in most, the color is not that intense, unless the coat is stripped out (pulled).

A single hair is generally more fine down by the root and the color there is not as intense, so when that hair is clipped short, the color will probably be a little bit lighter. Over time, that dog may look more gray then black.

When I got my first schnauzer, a black and silver, our local schnauzer club held a grooming class, talked about stripping, and demonstrated how to clip. I began clipping Greta, and did so for two years.... and then I noticed her color was starting to lighten just a bit.... and I got mad. "I wanted a black and silver, I bought a black and silver, and I will have a black and silver!"... and so I began stripping her out. Greta was a small schnauzer, and it took me all day to strip her out that first time. (I have improved greatly since that time.... that was nearly 50 years ago now.)

By the way, what one feeds a dog can affect the coat color. I discovered that when I made a major food change a few years ago. The grain-free Blue Buffalo Freedom gave all my dogs red feet and beards.... any (black) hair that was not stripped out had reddish highlights, and eventually I settled on Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. Most of my dogs have great color now (depends on the genetics behind them in regard to fading), and all are doing very well. This is a GREAT food, and I highly recommend it!

Karen Brittan
    Britmor Schnauzers
  5. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I just want to say, Diamond Naturals is NOT a "great" food. It is okay at best. While the ingredients aren't the worst, they aren't the best either and Diamond is known for poor quality control and recalls. I would advise choosing another brand.
  6. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Nope, I totally (mostly) disagree. Yes, Diamond Naturals did have a recall on its Lamb and Rice product in 2012.... never one on its Chicken and Rice. "Dog Food Advisor" gives the Chicken and Rice a 4.5 (out of 5) rating.

I am currently feeding 17 dogs on the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice, and I had a few more dogs when I started feeding this product a few years ago. My dogs have been in GREAT condition since being put on this product. The blacks and black and silvers have good color and everyone's condition and health has been good.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/diamond-naturals-dog-food/
  7. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Dog food advisor is written by a lone entity (one guy). Take the authenticity of that site how you will. It didn't do much for my dog besides dry his skin out. He even managed to gain even MORE weight (already too fat). Victor Hi Pro Plus is much better for him.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Diamond Naturals are among a number of different dog foods, all under various "brand" names but which are all manufactured by the same company, many of which are regularly recalled.

It is also quite possible that he is paid by by the various companies to give good scores.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It says on the web site (We do not accept money or samples from dog food companies in exchange for special consideration in the preparation of our reviews or ratings.
    In addition, to avoid any influence from the industry itself:
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I did say it was possible, not probable.But sometimes I cannot help wondering where, how and why someone gets the money to promote all these products, especially when so many brands, all made by the same company, are withdrawn so frequently and are yet still given top marks on this particular web site?
  11. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    CaroleC likes this.
    Many years ago I was at a dog show down in Missouri, and nearby was one of these dog food manufacturing places.... and I decided to stop in. I had a really nice chat with the manager of the place, and learned a fair amount. There are (or were then) three primary dog food manufacturing plants in the country and they make ALL the dog foods. The dog food companies give them the "recipes" for what they want, and these manufacturing places make up the foods, package them, and ship them on their way.

"He" is a she, and it is not that hard to learn to read a dog food label. That is how I initially choose a food I decide to feed my dogs, and then I (usually) give it several weeks to evaluate how my dogs look.

Many years ago I fed my dogs Eagle, and I swore I would never leave it as I felt it was the best food EVER..... and then eventually the company was sold, and the food deteriorated. I spent the next 2-3 years trying out different foods that met my specifications on their labels, but it was the dogs that told me if the food was good.... or not..... usually by their appearance.... skin, hair, color, etc. There was one food they didn't even want to eat... apparently they prefer chicken over beef. Generally, it will take two months to evaluate a product to see how it affects a dog's condition.... skin quality, etc., but a few I dumped a bit sooner than that. Blue Buffalo Freedom (grain free) gave my dogs red feet and beards... and overall, reddish-highlights.

That is how I eventually settled on Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice kibble. My dogs like it, and are in great condition on it. I was initially concerned about the 16% fat levels, but my dogs have done just fine on it.... good healthy skin, shiny coats, with great color.

By the way, every time I tried out a new food, I would also taste it myself (one kibble).... just a weird habit I have always had.... which can also tell one a lot about a product<G>
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I apologise if I called him a she. I do not feed kibble and most of their products are not available where I live. All the information I have had is from the Epileptic List where someone checks on all kibbles [and tinned foods] for possible items that can cause problems for epi dogs.

As I am a raw feeder my only interest is the fact that so many dog food products have so many connected, and so many are frequently recalled. These seemed to be mostly US products.

Regarding your tasting one kibble - so what? Good for you. As I have been a raw feeder, who only feeds human quality food from where I buy my own poultry, meat, fish and vegetables - feeding raw but cooking the food for myself since I think mid 2011, but before then I did not have any problem of tasting of tasting dog [or cat, when I had one] one kibble or a teaspoon of tinned food.

If it is not fit to be put in my mouth, then it is not fit to be put in my dog's mouth. The problem arises when you do not know if the dog's food is stuffed full of whatevers, and has tasty whatevers in it so the dog goes yum yum I like this - but does the food has all the necessary vitamins and minerals?

I know the way I raw feed that I add all necessary vitamins and minerals, and all and every necessity, so I am happy.
  13. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Thanks for all the replies very interesting like to hear about food as its a minefield I am feeding Ziva Lilys Kitchen wet and mixed with James Wellbeloved dry up till now her coat is very dark and shiny so happy with that her beard is a little Brown tinged but not a problem I bath her in Back to black shampoo and also happy with that...Thank you so much
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Having just washed Tikva's evening meat bowl - having first put away her supplements and taken her frozen tomorrows evening meat meat and veggies from freezer to put in the refrigerator for the next evening, oh how I long for the days of just a measure of kibble to put in her bowl - but the look of sheer delight I get from her while I get her evening meal ready is worth every second.

But she never knew anything else, going from bottle feeding to weaning and then [ugh] chewed up raw,,, whereas Pereg went straight from kibble to raw.
  15. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    I think feeding raw is great, however, I don't do it for two very important reasons. First, while I do understand a bit about dog nutrition, at least in regard to reading a label on a bag of dog food, I am not a dog food nutritionalist, and second, with 17 dogs to feed here, I could not afford to feed raw. I rely on the dogs to tell me if they are getting the proper nutrition in their food. They tell me by the quality of their skin and coat, and their activity levels.

Look of delight? Mine have that with every meal as they race to their crates to be fed in the morning.... if a schnauzer ever turns down food, something is wrong. Right now mine are happily chewing on some rawhide sticks and cow ears.

Here labels are required to list ingredients in order by proportion.... from most to least. Since "chicken" is composed of about 70% water, once its water is removed in processing, it would be much further down on the ingredient list (about 3rd or 4th), but with "chicken meal" (water removed) in second place, meat is still the highest ingredient.

Here is the list of ingredients for Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, fish meal, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus reuteri, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D Supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein (min.): 26.0%
    Crude Fat (min.): 16.0%
    Crude Fiber (max.): 3.0%
    Moisture (max.): 10.0%
    Zinc (min): 150 mg/kg
    Selenium (min):0.3 mg/kg
    Vitamin E (min): 150 IU/kg
    Omega 6 Fatty Acid* (min): 2.5%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acid (min): 0.4%
    Total Live and Active Cultures* (min): 2,200,000 CFU/kg

Calorie Content: 3,708 kcal/kg