**TMI warning!** Health

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

**TMI warning!**

I am sooo very sorry to have to post this but I'm a little concerned about Mila's poo :( it hasn't been your typical brown normal type poo. It smells sooo foul & doesn't look right. She had diarrhea really bad last night while I slept. Woke up to a nasty mess!:eek: (Fyi no change in food). the insides of her hears seem white-ish. Not red like I remember them being. Her gums r black so I'm trying to figure out what looks normal for her gums. The girl I bought her from said she was current on vaccines & all that. But I have no proof. Can you guys take a look at her fresh pile (just now) & see if its normal? I hope I'm just over reacting!:confused: this is the 3rd pile that has looked like this. Could she have worms & I not know about it? I've only dealt with those skinny rice looking worms u see in their poo. Again I really do apologize for the grossness!:( TIA!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    To me this poop looks like partially digested food, and the jelly is what usually lines the large bowel. I think this is usually caused either by eating something unsuitable, or by a bacterial infection. If you see any blood in her poo, consult your vet straight away as it could be the start of gastroenteritis.
    For now, allow Mila drink water normally, but let her tummy rest for a day. The following day let her have a couple of small portions of well-cooked rice with a little skinned chicken, and see if her poo has improved.
    If she is no better, - or gets any worse in the meantime - see your vet, as she may need an antibiotic, and a probiotic to help reline her bowel.
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you so much for the info! I will definitely try that. You know now that u mentioned partially digested food, I've noticed when she eats her dog food she literally whoofs it down & then burps for a little bit. Like loud burps. Lol sounds funny but I don't think she should be burping quite like that...right? I just feed her plain dog food & once every other day a teaspoon of olive oil. And sometimes if my son has a cooked egg leftover I'll give it to Mila.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I would lose the olive oil, at least for now.
    Hope she is better soon.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No need to worry about discussions about poo being TMI and you were right to post your concerns here.

I agree with Carole - let Mila have free access to water but let her tummy rest, even if she nags for food. Then let her have a couple of small portions of well-cooked rice with a little boiled skinned chicken [or plain white fish] - I would say all, including the rice, over-cooked. But keep an eye on the amount of water she drinks as both too little and too much are not good.

You say that "The girl I bought her from said she was current on vaccines & all that." But you also say you have no proof, and anyone can, and will, say anything if they want to sell a dog. Or anything for that matter.

If Mila shows even the slightest bit of getting worse, take her to your vet and say it is an emergency. Hopefully it is not, but better safe than sorry.

I do hope Mila gets better soon and that it was just a tummy upset, maybe from something she picked up when outside?

And please tell your vet that you do not know whether she had any vaccinations or treatment for both external and, more important internal parasites before she came to you.
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Great advice Carole, I often see rice being given, how much should be given and how often, it’s good to know if ever needed
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am obviously not Carole, but I would say plain, unseasoned, white rice - over-cooked and well over al dente. Start with a tablespoonful and only after a day of no whoopsies, add a teaspoonful of boiled white chicken or white fish. Also unseasoned and well cooked. Little by little - better to give her just a couple of spoonsful and wait and see how she goes.

Mila is not going to starve if she does not eat for a couple of days, but she must drink. Although as I said, not too little and not too much.

Do not make a fuss about it. If you put her bowl down with a couple of tsp of boiled rice and she ignores it - just remove her bowl and wait until she wants to eat. But even then stick to the rice/chicken/fish until she is either 100% OK or has been had a full vet check up.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hard to say how much Philippa, but you are not feeding to appetite, the idea is a gradual reintroduction for the digestion. If it was a Beagle, around 12 - 20 kg, I would do a single human sized quantity - I measure the rice by volume, so about 150ml. As Malka said, cook in rather more water than you would do normally, and add a little salt. The grains should be a little sticky/crumbly when cooked. Allow to cool.
    For the first meal, I would probably only give a rounded tablespoonful, with a similar quantity of shredded poached chicken breast, or white fish. If all was well, give the same again a few hours later.
    Discard any cooked rice at the end of the day, and start a new batch if needed the day after.
    I see we have overlapped Malka, but seem to be roughly similar in method, bar a little salt!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Carole - better the two of us overlap than have totally different ideas. I do not weigh anything these days - if it looks the right amount then it probably is. But basically we both have the same ideas, and I do hope that Mila gets over this pdq.

Philippa - I can repeat this enough. Please tell your vet that you do not know whether Mila had any vaccinations or treatment for both external and, more important internal parasites before she came to you. Because that cause problems.

And if/when you take Mila to the vet, take a small amount of poo with you for a full check-up.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Cow-pat poos/Burping can be an early sign of EPI so if it doesn’t clear up in a couple of days or returns I would ask vet for blood tests.
  12. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks everyone for the advice!:) I woke up again to another bad mess on the floor :( (thank God for hardwood floors!!:D). I don't think she'll have a problem with eating the rice. Lol she eats pretty much anything!:confused: I'm going to cook her up some rice & see how that goes. I do see her drinking so that's a good thing. And I saw her eat her (plain) dog food. The girl told me the name of the vet's place she took Mila to so I shall call them to find out more info & see if she has a record there. Yeah unfortunately u can't take people at their word! :-\ she is AKC registered (switched to my name now). If the diarrhea doesn't go away after feeding her the rice then I'll take her to my vet
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I forgot to add...I had to wipe Mila's bum after bringing her inside & noticed underneath all her fur that her bum hole looks red & puffy looking. Is it because of her having diarrhea?
  14. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Most likely, yes. But if she has been rubbing her bottom, trying to clean herself, that can do it too.
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thank you Carole “ ish “ xx
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I would not know about that but I have used baby wipes on botties when necessary -[and legs and almost everywhere] when Pereg's rear end exploded during seizures] although I now have larger dog wipes [I wish I had known about them then - SIGH] which I originally bought to clean muddy paws and or muddy/piddled on legs, which Tikva does not object to [I hope that is not famous last words...]

But yes, diarrhea can leave a sore, red and puffy looking anus. Both baby and big dog wipes will help keep the anus clean. Just do not try to wipe/clean with loo paper or paper towels as they will be too rough. And if Mila seens to have a sore bottie then homeopathic cream [the type for haemorrhoids] should help and will not harm. Baby cream is also OK but the haemorrhoid cream will stop soreness and also any swelling/puffiness.

Just keep the area clean and dry - making a joke of "come on, let mommy clean your bottie" should let you do it without distressing her. Again something learned from Pereg.
  17. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Merry's left side anal sac seems to have a narrower canal. Since it became infected and needed two courses of AB's to clear, I have checked it weekly. Now when I call, 'Let's have a look at that bum', she runs to me and swings her rear end round to face. I think she must have heard the word 'operate'. No further problems though.
    Sorry to stray from the topic.
    @Wizegrl00782 How is Mila today?
  18. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks ladies!:) Mila still has the runs:( I've been feeding her the plain white rice in with her dog food & she nibbles at it. She looks like she lost some weight. Gosh does her poo STINK!:eek: she does drink water. Im just starting to worry about this diarrhea issue. She wasn't fed anything out of the ordinary. Would internal parasites cause this?
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica, Mila should not been having the rice with her dog food, she should only be having plain rice by itself - NO dog food at all. There could be something in the dog food that is the cause of the problem, and in case there is you need to get all dog food out of her system.

Vet. Asap. With a sample of her poo. Please.

I do hope she is OK - it is such a worry.
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    It could be any number of reasons time to take her to the vet with a poo sample.
    If feeding rice mix in a bit of chicken or chappie tin food.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree, this has gone on for too long now. We did mean you were to feed just the rice, chicken or fish - not mix it in with her reguar food. There are so many conditions that could be responsible for this, it is time to let the vet diagnose. As the others say, take a poo sample with you.