Schnauzer Advice Questions

Discussion in 'Schnauzer' started by www.theschnauzer.uk, Mar 21, 2018.

?

Is a miniature schnauzer a good companion for a standard schnauzer?

1. Yes - generally speaking

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No - generally speaking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Depends on the individual dogs

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. www.theschnauzer.uk

www.theschnauzer.uk New Member

Name:
    Nick Butler

Schnauzer Advice

Hi, I'm new to the forum. The posts look quite old so I'm wondering if it's a good place for schnauzer owners? I'll ask a question and see if anyone replies!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    As always, it depends on the temperaments of both dogs.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I have a 4 year old male Miniature Schnauzer and a 4.5 year old female Shar-Pei. They've been the best of friends from the moment they first set eyes on each other and there's never been a cross word between them! A match made in heaven!

Our trainer has both Miniature and Giant Schnauzers as well as a GSD who all get on well with my two. If my Mini Schnauzer is typical of his breed, he's so laid back, he'd get on with "the devil himself" whereas my Pei prefers to observe rather than participate in play with other dogs
  5. Abby Kahn

Abby Kahn New Member

Name:
    Abby
  6. Abby Kahn

Abby Kahn New Member

Name:
    Abby
    OMG you should consider yourself so fortunate........My mini is most difficult and I feel until my Lab puppy is quite taller than him he will not choose to get along with her.....UGH
  7. HypoDog

HypoDog New Member

Name:
    Kari
    I haven't owned the breed myself but I've dog sat for both a mini and a standard, and I wrote an article about Schnauzers for the hypoallergenic dog website I work for.
    Miniature Schnauzers can be quite energetic, but they can be couch potatoes too if nothing is going on. I would say that Standard Schnauzers are pretty smart and they can be very gentle! Of course, it always depends on the dog, but I think it would be unlikely that they wouldn't get along.

If you're introducing a mini to the house, be sure you monitor interactions between your dogs and acclimate your mini to large and small dogs. An older mini might be a problem if they're afraid of small dogs. A puppy may be a problem if your Standard Schnauzer plays too roughly.