Should Mini Schnauzers be classed as Terriers? Controversial

Discussion in 'Miniature Schnauzer' started by Asti, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison

Should Mini Schnauzers be classed as Terriers?

I don't know why this country puts mini Schnauzers in the utility group, I think the Americains have it right putting them in the Terrier group. Our Asti has every trait of a terrier, she can sniff out anything, has amazing hearing and sight.

My friend and dog walker has two beautiful Border Terriers and Asti is no different to them when it comes to her behaviour whatsoever.

Does anyone else think mini's should be in the terrier group over in this country?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    Mini Schnauzers tend to be more dog-friendly and less hyper than the longer-legged terriers like Fox Terriers. This is one of the reasons I chose the breed - but I still have a hankering for a WFT as they look so smart:grin:

Border Terriers are one of the calmer terrier breeds - not that is difficult:roll:
    As they were bred to run with hounds, they had to get on with other dogs, and are less quarrelsome than a lot of terriers.
  4. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Oh no! I ended up having a disagreement with a Schnauzer owner when we met when I was out with our 2 Kerry Blue terriers. He kept going on about his standard Schnauzer being a terrier and I said no they weren't as they were classed as part of the utility goup in the UK but I believed they were classed as terriers by the AKC. He wouldn't have it though and then Jamie got annoyed with me for being insistent that they are not terriers.

I think the smaller ones are reputed to be terrier like but I'm not so sure about the Standards?
  5. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Oh I agree with this as I saw a very smart looking WFT recently and I think they are lovely-looking dogs but too much terrier temperament for me I think!
  6. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    I was always told by Schnauzer people that Standards are a lot more difficult breed than the minis and Giants. The temperament of the mini and Giant are very similar, very laid back and easy going.

I must admit minis do seem to be very dog friendly. I've never seen a bad tempered mini yet although I'm sure there must be one. :grin:
  7. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Asti :) MSs are in the Utility group for historic reasons. Their larger counterparts were multi purpose dogs used for a variety of tasks and it was hoped the smaller breed would possess similar traits.
    I would not like to see them in the terrier group, they are not terriers.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  8. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Hi Minihaha, I see what you mean , when you say their larger counterparts do you mean the standards or the giants? When you say multi purpose dogs weren't the minis used as watchdogs? Are the giants in the working group?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2011
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Asti :) I was thinking of the Standard Schnauzer from which the other two breeds are descended.

To quote from the Dogsey dog breeds information section..
    so it is though the Mini was intended to be a smaller version of the Standard capable of carrying out various tasks from ratting, moving stock, guarding to just being a companion. Nowadays most are just companions.

Yes the Giants are in the working group..
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  10. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Thanks for that mini, very interesting. It explains Asti as she is very good at sniffing out rats and we keep her away from livestock as she wants to herd them. She seems to have all the old traits :)
  11. Asti

Asti New Member

Name:
    Alison
    Has anyone seen that new 'Swift Cover.com' advert on the tv? It's got those cartoon dogs sitting in the car and one in the garden, the one in the garden is a mini. It's a really good advert :lol:
  12. pippam

pippam

Name:
    n/a
    I have to disagree with the dog friendly theory

met two minis, couldnt believe how tiney they are and both did not like Millie she was minding her own buisiness and one nearly went for her and another one let Millie sniff her but then snapped and snarled before running off to its owner.

Id say their more people friendly then dog friendly.

Only met one that was happy to say hello to Millie.
  13. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    I met what I thought was a black Mini Schnauzer a few weeks ago - it turned out to be a Patterdale Terrier, but apart from being slighter taller than Leo they could have been related!
  14. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    I got my Mini Schnauzer because I read that they had terrier looks without the terrier temperament. Perfect, I thought. Unfortunately Pepper appears to be unaware that she is only supposed to look like a terrier. ;) She has all the over confidence, independence, high prey drive, love of digging and escapades, basically more terrier than many terriers!

I firmly believe that there are 2 types of Mini Schnauzer. We know quite a few seriously mellow, easy going ones, but also a fair few like Pepper! (Who is 8 now and still mad as a box of frogs. :D)
  15. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Gwylim who'll be one in a few days time, has no prey drive whatsoever! For the past three days I've had a field mouse scurrying around in my kitchen and Gwylim is still blissfully unaware of its presence! Now, if he'd been like my previous dog, a Tibetan Spaniel he'd have sniffed it out and killed it by now.

He is however, a confident, independent young man, very obedient and loving, considering he was 9 months old when he came to live with us and had no training. He and my Shar-Pei girl are inseparable, despite her being twice his size and a rather anxious dog. I really couldn't wish for a better dog. .
  16. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Janet likes this.
    Hey Pork1epe1, wanna swap??? :081::081::081::081:
  17. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Nope! You know what they say ... "Better the devil you know" so I'll stick with the devil I've got! :077:
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I know that my dog is not a terrier, but how can I teach her to move just a bit quicker to catch mice?
  19. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    You leave them little mices alone Pereg!
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    LLK - Late Lamented Kattypuss wivva K as that was woz was what I called her when I brought her home in my pocket...

...well, that was when I lived in bungalow #1 on the Moshav. And LLK never cotched meecicles there.

And LLK, who moved with me to bungalow #2 on the Moshave never cotched meecicles there either.

But she used to sit and watch them.
  21. Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan New Member

Name:
    Karen
    USA here.

Standard and Giant Schnauzers here are both classified in the Working Group, while Miniatures are in the Terrier Group.

He's been gone a few years now, but my Peter, a SP mini, was a herding dog. We live on 10 acres out in the country, and our next door neighbor had horses, and then cattle, for a time, both of which managed to come over onto our property at some point. Peter herded the horses back over the fence, and then the cattle. Peter also participated in a sheepherding "test" once, and the other participants were shocked at how well he did. Peter was one great little dog!
    http://britmorschnauzers.com/peter.html

Karen Brittan