Vomits frequently Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

Vomits frequently

Hello all! I am wondering about Mila's frequent vomiting. Googling it isn't too much help so I thought I get some advice from everyone here ;)

Mila has been vomiting a yellow colored bile often. In fact this morning when she went out to potty she wasn't feeling too good. She stopped & vomited a bright yellow colored bile. She wanted to eat grass but spring hasn't brought us alot of green grass yet. She vomits I would say at least once a week. Always yellow colored...sometimes foamy too. If her stomach is upset what can I do to help her?
    TIA!:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Started off with diarrhea, to straining to go and now vomiting, either way your girl is not right, and if left unattended to could end up serious, I know money is tight but you really need to see a vet.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I agree when adult or animal is haveing diarrhoea and vomiting often there is a problem. The longer you leave it the more sick Mila will become, she isn’t getting chance to take the nourishment from the food, it isn’t getting time to be processed.
    What for is she eating and how much ?
    Do you know how much she weighs ?
  5. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I agree ladies! I think a vet appt is in order.
    Philippa: if i had to guess shes probably around 60lbs. She eats plain dry dog food (Pedigree brand). I give her 1 cup of food each time she finishes a bowl. If she gets a ton of food at once she'll whoof it all down then burps a lot.To me she just seems...lean? Like I can feel her backbone. As much as she eats she doesn't seem right. I don't know how to explain it. I just feel that something isn't right with her. I should definitely make an appt with the vet.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Im glad you are going to the vets
    If it was my dog I would do just that !
    Please let us all know what happens, we do worry and care !
    Philippa
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I still think it could be EPI, especially as you say she seems thin.
    I would ask your vet about it and find a vet that will do a FASTING (no food for 12 hours prior to the blood test) cTLI, B12 and Cobalamin/Folate test. That will determine it one way or the other.

https://www.gooddog.com/2017/04/23/caring-for-a-dog-with-epi/
    http://www.globalspan.net/epi.htm
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Those are brilliant references @GsdSlave . I wish that much information had been available in the 70's when Merlin the Golden developed this condition.
  9. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanx for the info!:) I will definitely bring that up to the vet. Its hard for me to tell if she seems thin or its just me. See I can feel her back bone & I don't think I should be able to feel that...right? She eats good its just she belches even after eating small portions of her food. I will definitely tell the vet everything!;)
  10. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I read that whole article and wow! That sounds just about exactly what Mila has!:eek: her poos r a tan color & she sometimes pees in the house. Like if she gets extremely excited or extremely scared she'll pee on the floor...even after just peeing outside. I will definitely be calling the vet tomorrow! (closed today). Thank u so much for finding that info for me! :) I'll keep everyone updated!
  11. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I hope you get an appointment soon, you have been given some great advise, please write it down and take it with you, sometimes when you get into the vets it can become difficult to remember everything when you are also looking after Mila
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Can't it just! I usually remember something I meant to mention, but later in the day!
  13. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh my goodness Im the same way! If I don't write something important down it'll be lost & forgotten!:eek: lol. I even wrote down a timeline of when her diarrhea first happened & all that. So I'm covered there!:023: I will make sure to take my notes with me! Lol I may look crazy but hey...I don't care!:005:
  14. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    I currently have a dog with EPI, (Akita in pic), the poop was tan to yellow constantly, the appetite was ravenous and no matter how much she ate, still yellow poop that hit the ground like a cow pat. Omg the burping and farting was like the scene from blazing saddles (us oldies would know that one). She never vomited though and she doesn't ever eat grass either, she's 15 months now and never either learned to do it or needs to do it. Both my male husky and maltipoo eat grass in front of her if and when they need it, and she has been with them since 8 weeks old.

She is doing fantastic now and has put back on all the weight she lost and then some, with nothing more than 2 tspn of an enzyme to prop up her dodgy pancreas every meal, but for the rest of her life. I get mine from enzymediane.com and it seems to be exactly what she needed. 148 bucks every 3 months, is what you're looking at financially.

So if its EPI, I wouldn't call that serious, because you know about it and can treat it. EPI is most dangerous when undiagnosed. When I look at what my dog could have had, I'm actually thankful it was just EPI.
  15. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Also I would look into something that know in my bones is why Iost my last husky, and that's carageenan in dog food. Do a little bit of reading on this vile, useless inclusion in our dogs food, and in much of our own food too. Also read its medical purpose these days with regards to lab testing on mice and rats with carrageenan.

My dog started with the constant yellow bile vomiting often, then in the mornings then every morning to twice a day, lost so much weight it was heartbreaking to touch her back. Her stomach lining was failing due to the amount of ulcers in her stomach. She was bleeding into her stomach and slowly digesting herself. Her poop went from runny, darker and darker until it was like black paint with lumps of coal in it. She already had sensitive stomach but had been on a dog food with carageenan since birth, she had severe gastrointestinal problems that grew worse over 3 months until she had to be put down out of pure mercy.

If the doc wants to give you a drug to suppress the vomiting, I would say that is just masking the symptom. The stomach wants whatever is in it, out, not be kept in and forced onward into the digestive system.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1242073/

I would encourage everyone here to poke around those source links, the titles alone are scary to read.
  16. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Such a sad story, that with knowledge probably could have been avoided, you must be so angry
    Thank yo7 for telling us about that and the link !
  17. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Wow! Thank u so much for sharing this info! :) so basically I need to feed her an enzyme u mentioned? Where can I buy it? What dog food would u recommend I feed Mila? Her poop has been a tan-ish color for a while now but its not like cow pies. Its solid & I notice she strains sometimes. And I feed her nothing but dry dog food. Yes her appetite is ravenous & constantly eating. She would eat a full bowl of food if I let her. I give her 1 small cup at a time & then fill up the bowl when its empty. Otherwise she'll whoof down a big bowl of food then burps for the next hour or so. She still burps anyways even after eating small portions. I haven't noticed her passing gas but she probably does & I don't notice.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Please don't feed pancreatic enzyme without finding out whether this is definitely what is wrong with Mila.
    You really do need to see a vet to get a proper diagnosis.
    If it does turn out to be EPI, by all means shop around for her prescription.
  19. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I agree with Carole, we all want a quick fix, but, you don’t know that it’s definitely EPI
    It’s a good question to ask your vet, but, because these symptoms have been going on for some time you need a confirmed diagnosis from your vet
    We are all waiting what your vets says, so, please let us know ASAP
  20. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If she does not have Epi and the pancreas is still producing enzymes you could do more damage than good.

There are a lot of conditions that can have the symptoms of EPI so get her to a vet and have her checked out.
  21. kailynnbowling

kailynnbowling New Member

Name:
    Kailynn Bowling
    I still believe it is EPI, especially since she appears thin.
    I'd ask your doctor about it and look for a doctor who will perform a FASTING (no food for 12 hours prior to the blood test) cTLI, B12, and Cobalamin/Folate test. That will either determine it or not.