A fair price for a puppy? Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by dougperry, Apr 17, 2018.

1. dougperry

dougperry New Member

Name:
    Doug Perry

A fair price for a puppy?

Hello. I'm brand new to this forum and hope you will be patient with a few questions from an absolute novice regarding Akitas. We are considering an Akita and are trying to find a local breeder. I have found one, but this breeder charges between 2500 and 3500 for a puppy. In our local paper I see them anywhere from 500 to 1200. If we are interested in an Akita strictly as a pet, and do not intend to show him/her, is there a need to pay so much to a breeder? I've seen the cautions on various pages about unethical breeders and certainly don't want to purchase a dog that will be prone to excessive health issues or other problems, but like any other consumer, I don't want to pay more than I should be paying either. As you can see, I'm traveling a bit blind here so any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I can't help with a price as I am in the UK. Based on the way puppies are sold over here, I would expect the cheapest puppies to be unregistered and non pedigree. Back yard and puppy farmed puppies may come with documents of varying degrees of reliability. I think the legal term Caveat Emptor would apply if your puppy did turn out to have problems.

The best way of buying a puppy is from an experienced breeder who carries out all the recommended health tests for the breed. The puppy will be able so be seen with at least it's mother, and probably with other siblings too. If the breeder shows their dogs, they are likely to be the member of at least one breed club. This usually means that they have agreed to abide by the code of ethics which you can view on the national breed club website. Higher welfare standards and health testing do not come cheap, and accounts for at least some of the difference in level of puppy prices. A good breeder will be interested in their stock over a lifetime, and will always be willing to give advice when it is needed. I hope that helps.
  4. dougperry

dougperry New Member

Name:
    Doug Perry
  5. dougperry

dougperry New Member

Name:
    Doug Perry
    Thank you, CaroleC. Very helpful. One gets what one pays for, no doubt.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Sometimes, but not always. Check out the breeder and check out carefully what health check have been done. There are some very dodgy people about these days so make sure you satisfy yourself that any breeder you choose has the best interests of the breed at heart
  7. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi Doug, we have a Japanese Akita, we live in France and bought him here, so, I can’t comment on the price anywhere else
    What I can say is the breed is very complex, with that I would recommend buying from a reputable breeder. As Carole mentioned all good breeders are concerned about all their dogs. Before purchasing ours we did vast amounts of reseated and I learnt breeders over time manage to eliminate certain traits and can create “ perfect “ pups
    Our breeder also won many awards in shows with his Akitas which sealed the deal for us. We also signed a contract with him to say if we wanted to get rid of him within three years we would give the dog back to the breeder
    Out of interest, a couple of questions! where do you live, which type of Akita are you interested in, American or Japanese and have you considered looking for one from a rescue centre, there are many waiting for a new family ?
  8. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith
    The Akita is not for first time dog owners. If you have had other large breeds we have bought 2 Akitas from Kuroi Kao in Indianapolis. Priscilla is awesome. Highly recommend her.
  9. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Did you bye a pup ? I'm getting mine on Saturday j paid £800 for one £750 for the other if that helps you
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    That’s strange as the breeder you are getting your bitch puppy from is advertising on a well known ‘free add site. There are clear pictures of the male and female that you posted
    Full Advert Details
    £450
    We have for sale well bred akita pups. These pups ave been microchipped,wormed and come with a puppy pack.The father of the pups is a huge long hair akita and the mum short hair akita and both have great temperament with other pets and small kid's. Some of these pups will be long hair like the dad.We taking deposit of £50 to secure the pup of your choice. Not KC registered We want only good homes for these baby's. No time wasters please.Possible delivery.
    The reason I haven’t added the link is because I don’t want to advertise the site but most people will know it, begins with P.
    I have added some pics from the advert.
    Capture.PNG
    gorgeous-akita-pups-females-5b85405d7fc43.jpgl.jpg gorgeous-akita-pups-females-5b853ff141fee.jpgn.jpg
  11. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Just like the pics I got of my pup how odd what's number and email too breeder ? Maybe they could of used pics from a different site too advertise there pups better ? As mine was not 450 also mind are full KC registered
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thank you Vee.
  13. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Hmm... no good breeder would use a long coated Akita to breed. The long coat is a recessive gene and long coats can’t be shown and are not breed standard. Also 450 is an incredibly inexpensive price for a well breed Akita. Even 750/800 is cheep for a well breed Akita pup with health tested parents. I know there is a difference between your currency and ours but still...
  14. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    It's about 1041 dollars I paid about in your money each pup
  15. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    If the sire is a long coat they are not KC. $1041 is a very low price for an Akita. Long coats should not be breed as it’s not considered improving the breed.
  16. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I find it very hard to believe it is not the same breeder plus what you are suggesting is ‘illegal’
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If anyone wants an 100% accurate Universal Currency Exchange site which is up to date every minute and can convert all currencies to whatever they want, just look at this

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Because I buy a lot of things on line, some of which are in Shekalim which is easy for me, those that are in US$ or UK Sterling, I have to check the amounts in Shekalim, and have always used that site.
  18. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    What is illegal too have a long hair American Akita ? The boy mum dad are 100 % short coat and the other pup the mum is short hair dad is l9ng hair I'm lost how this is illegal ? Can I have some more info guys as I will cancel one of the pups thanks for your help guys you are good people kind regards
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think @GsdSlave means is that it would be illegal to use someone else's puppy photos to advertise a litter, not illegal to own a long haired Akita. Personally, I am sure that she is right in suggesting that it is the same Akita litter on the pet sales site.
  20. Rugby1983

Rugby1983 New Member

Name:
    Jack brewster
    Thank you Carole
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I cannot find it at the moment, but did not someone recently use photographs from a
    Boerboel site saying they were their dogs, even using a picture of one of their puppas as an avatar? When they had just pulled the lot of someone elses website.