How much do dogs really understand? General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

How much do dogs really understand?

Tikva asked for her breakfast, which she has ±10am every day. So being the nutcase that I am, I asked her if she wanted a fishy or a chikky flapper or a goggle neck. No fishy today, which is a large frozen sardine in ThreeBees, my big freezer. She flew past it into the back room and waited in front of Pereg's freezer.

So I opened it and asked her what she wanted. And yes, I do know I am a nutcase. Bottom drawer has large chunks of turkey necks, second from bottom has large chicken wings. The top drawers have meat in them. And there is meat in ThreeBees and in the freezer section of my f/f. For both of us. But she went past both of those and put her nose on the wings drawer because that what was she wanted.

Did she know what I had asked her? Did she understand?

It really does not matter as she chombles whatever I give her, but she does it every day, telling me what she wants for her breakfast and does not seem to care if I give her a different thing.

I have always said that Tikva is a strange little girl, and she really is.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Not strange at all, Juli. Just very bright.

Rosie is the same. She comes as close to talking as a dog can get. She has one bark that sounds so much like 'yes' she has people in hysterics and another that you would swear was 'hello' and she only uses that one when someone says hello to her.

She keeps us smiling xx
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I wonder if it is because Tikki has been with me since she was so very young. And I do talk to her a lot, both in English and Ivrit, half the time not knowing which language, and she only heard Ivrit before she came to me.

I talk to her - I sing to her - I use sign language - but who asks a dog what they want for breakfast?

I know I tend to use baby language to her, just as I did to my children and I am sure I am not the only one who does that. Tikva is not a child substitute but I do not speak caninese - she just seems to understand things.

Her evening meals with her vitamins and supplements, veggies and meat, are just her dindins. But she definitely knows the differences between brekkie and dindins. Baby talk again. And she definitely knows what is where.

In all the years I have had dogs, and all the dogs I have had, even the puppies I have helped to be born, I have never had a dog like Tikki.

And Ram, my wonderful vet, is correct. She is rather cute!
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I don' t use a lot of baby language, but I didn't with my daughter either. I hate myself for doing it, but I have picked up the habit of saying 'wee wee' and 'poo poo' since I have had the Beagles. I used to just say 'Be clean' - even when I had the Cavaliers. Perhaps it is down to having to house-train an incontinent six year old!
    I do talk to them all the time though, and often add in their imagined answers too - OK Mum - Yes Please Mum - (crazy Beagle mother twice over). My trainers insist that this constant prattle fades into the dog equivalent of white noise, (as it does with human partners), but I'm not sure they are completely right. There are times when can I explain something to my Beags in simple language, and I'm sure that it does make a difference to their understanding - especially when I tell them that there will be something nice if they get it right!
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Like Mother like daughter....just saying xxxxxx
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I honestly cannot remember much about what I said to my daughter, mainly because she was mostly in hospital since she was 5 weeks old and tbh I do not remember much about my son as a very young baby as I had walked out of my marriage when 10 weeks pregnant with him and my daughter was still in the orthopaedic hospital.

Please do not blame me.

I use the words pee pee and kakki to Tikva as those are the Ivrit words used for babies here and yes, when I talk to her in a normal-ish tone [whatever language] I "answer" for her in a silly tone. And the number of times I have said to her "do not talk to your Mother like that".

But she knows. At night when she is zonked on the couch and I want her to go in her crate so I can lock up and go to bed myself, I will wake her up and tell her to go out and make pee pee. And if I have not seen her, when she comes in I ask her if she has made pee pee.

I know she understands me and could not care what frozen chunk she has for her breakfast, but how does she know what is where when she probably does not care?
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If you are implying I am...whatever... you could be right!
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    We all have stories of various kinds, no one should “ blame you “ or blame me about things we have done!
    We have only walked in our own shoes, who is to judge us or tell us what is right or wrong, maybe I would have done things differently given my time again, with experience and a little older.
    No, I would never judge you !
    I’m sure Tikva does as you ask as she have a deep understanding of what you need her to do !
    xx
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Philippa I am sure Tikki understands me, just as I am sure she coped when I had to take her so young and she did not known me. At three-weeks-old and not weaned? I talk to her nearly all day and although she is not perfectly trained [I should be so lucky :rolleyes:] she is happy, healthy, and I love her.

And I think she knows it and loves me too.
  11. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka likes this.
    It’s a wonderful relationship you have with each other, you are both blessed
    P xx
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I don't fully go with the 'white noise' theory either, Carole. Sure, in a training situation, a short word is best because it's clear and concise, but over time, I believe dogs pick up on our tone of voice in everyday situations. Ask a dog, 'do you want your dinner' instead of 'dinner' and believe me, they understand what you mean.

Rosie isn't a fan of baths (she only has a two a year). The other day, I said to hubby, I'm going to bath her later then get the shears out. She hid behind him until the dreaded bath time came (an hour later). When I said it, it was in the middle of more conversation. Oh yes, definitely, they pick up on more than just single words
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am definitely blessed having Tikva in my life. After losing my beloved Pereg and though not of my choice, Baby Ziva just eleven days after she came into my life, Tikki and I seem to really both be blessed. And oh how I love that little one.
    They do - Tikki tells me that every day. More than any other of my wonderful beloved dogs ever did in the past.
    I think that most of you, who have known me for a long time, know how much I loved my beloved Pereg. Which is why I still keep her beautiful face as my avatar.

Tik is - I do not know - a small little booga that I think Pereg sent to me.

To make me get up in the morning.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just as a side-by, I have left keys to my home at the macolet across the road, and also someone else, so if they see my outside lights still on and my shutters still closed they can get in for Tikva, because she would still be in her crate. And they know to contact Ram for her.
  15. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Great idea, I often worry about if anything happens to my hubby & me whilst we are out what would become of Yoji !
    I need to put a plan of action in place.
    Thank you for jogging my memory xx
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is not during the day that I worried about as I only go over the road to the macolet when Tikva is indoors. It was at night that I started worrying as she is in her crate then so could not get out.

But the macolet is diagonally across the road and they can see my outside lights and shutters from there. And of course my door is always open once I have surfaced, outside lights off, shutters open, door open - they all known when I have surfaced - they have my telephone and mobile numbers - - - and Ram's number, so it is more for Tikki than it is for me.

I could not go to bed at night without knowing that someone would be aware if something had happened to me during the night and would know how to help Tikki.