New member with new Puppy questions Questions

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by mktwain, May 11, 2018.

1. mktwain

mktwain New Member

Name:
    Travis

New member with new Puppy questions

Hello all, glad to be here. In a couple of weeks I will pick up my first PWD puppy. I haven't had a dog since I was a kid, so I've been reading and soaking up everything I can to make sure I'm doing everything right for my soon-to-be new best friend!

I have a few questions I'm hoping to find good answers to, however.

First, I've been reading and noticing that it seems to be recommended not to walk the dog on pavement for the first 9-12 months of age. Is this correct? It seems like an awful long time. (I am really looking forward to long walks with the dog, I usually walk briskly about 90 minutes a day). I guess the reason is that that's the time needed for the pads of their paws to toughen up enough for pavement? Any tips here appreciated, I'd rather start later than too soon.

Second, I've read also that "excercise" which seems to be energetic play or leash-led walking should be limited to about 5 minutes per month of age, about twice a day. So a 2 month old puppy would need about 10 minutes of energetic play about twice a day, and would get a bit worn out if more than that. Is this about right?

Third, my reading also noted that until the dog has had all vaccinations, it's probably best to keep him away from public parks. I guess there's a lot of pathogens at the local park? Interested in knowing more about this, especially because I'll likely be taking the dog camping (RV trailer) with me on weekends this summer, and then a week long stay at the beach in August. The dog should be about 4-1/2 months old by the time we go to the beach, will that be ok?

Maybe I'm a bit too worried, I'm already in love with the little guy (met the puppies last week) and want to make sure he has the best start in life.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    That is one lucky pup, you have answered all your own questions in your post.
    I’m sure others will come along with a few more tips. All I would offer is to research the amount of sleep your puppy gets, it’s really important and often needs to be encouraged
    I would love to see some photos if you get chance !