14 week malamute bunny hops. Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Graeme Mercer, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Graeme Mercer

Graeme Mercer New Member

Name:
    Graeme Mercer

14 week malamute bunny hops.

Hello,
    I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of bunny hopping from a mal when going up stairs and also when on a fast run when he shoots about.

His parents have a pretty good hip scoring, I don't have the exact numbers right at this moment but will post them on here.

Was just on the look out for any early signs of hip diplacement and noticed for the last few days he's been bunny hopping.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Though bunny hopping can be a sign of hip problems it isn’t always the case, lots of pups BH until they get their coordination right, id give it a bit more time unless he is having other signs along with the bunny hopping.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Both my dogs tend to bunny hop when they're running down from the top half of my garden which is steep and the ground very uneven. I've watched them many times and as @GsdSlave says it only happens when they lose coordination for a few seconds.

My larger dog however bunny hopped everywhere for a few days after pulling a muscle in her hind leg.
  5. Graeme Mercer

Graeme Mercer New Member

Name:
    Graeme Mercer
    Thanks for your reply guys,
    I'll keep and eye out and see how he progresses, obviously he's still growing and finding his coordination.

He's at the vets next week anyway so I'll get an opinion from them also.

Many thanks