2 Week Old Akita Pups Unwell Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Jj72guy, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Jj72guy

Jj72guy New Member

Name:
    Joe Disson

2 Week Old Akita Pups Unwell

Hi There,

Our Akita X Malamute gave birth to 7 lovely Akita Pups 2 weeks ago. We had 8 but 1 didn’t make it. Before Thursday just gone (26th Oct) all pups were fine. Then suddenly 1 started having Diarrhoea. We took him straight to vets where they gave him an antibiotic of synulox via injection. He went back Friday for a check up and had another injection. Vet also advised to worm puppies straight away which we did with drontal (wanted panacur but couldn’t get any from anywhere) diarrhoea still kept on with pup so we kept giving extra water and 2 oral doses of synulox. Unfortunately today 2 other pups have started having diarrhoea. Vet advised us to give them synulox as well and extra milk if they aren’t gaining lots of weight.

I should say that all pups are gaining weight and appear happy and have opening eyes and are walking around. Mum feeding and doing well although they have put on antibiotic as she felt very warm underneath. They wanted to to nip Amy possible chance of infection in her. Diarrhoea is not completely water. It’s a bit thicker (mustard colour) and has some ‘bits’ in it. Has anyone had this before? This is my partners and I’s first litter and we are worried. Please help!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Two questions. Firstly why did you breed an Akita cross as the pups will also be crossbreeds. They will not be Akitas and there are too many crossbreeds in rescue/shelters as it is.

Secondly, did you worm the bitch before you bred from her?

Your vet is the only one who can really help you or give you advice as I am afraid I cannot and I do not think there is anyone here who can either.
  4. Jj72guy

Jj72guy New Member

Name:
    Joe Disson
    I do understand what you are saying but we have lovely homes for them to go to and we are keeping 2 ourselves. We did it purely as we were told that it was good for the Bitch to have one litter. She was wormed prior to breeding and she’s had all jabs etc. She was then worked from day 45 of pregnancy.

Thank you for your reply. I will wait for further instructions from the vet.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I was not having a go at you Joe, just being as honest as I could, but it really is not necessary, or good, for a bitch to have one litter. The only time one of my girls, and I used to be a KC registered breeder many years ago, only had one litter was because she needed a C-section and hated her puppies. So she was spayed and was just a pet.

The three girls I have had the pleasure of sharing my home with over the last 20 or so years have/were all spayed, the first two being spayed three months after their first season and Tikva, my current little one was spayed once she was six months old and weighed ~6kg, before she had ever come into season.

Good luck with the puppies - I hope they will be OK - and please will you get your giel spayed once she has recovered from the birth?
  6. Jj72guy

Jj72guy New Member

Name:
    Joe Disson
    Thanks for replying. Yes we won’t be having another litter after this. So she will be spayed
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    How are the puppies today Joe?
  8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Joe, how is everything going, we are anxious for an update
  9. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    CaroleC likes this.
    Yeah the whole "dog should have one litter before you spay" is a myth as far as I know.