6 Month Puppy Ear Still Floppy Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Keith Wiethe, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Keith Wiethe

Keith Wiethe New Member

Name:
    Keith

6 Month Puppy Ear Still Floppy

anyone ever had an Akita pup ear pop up after 6 months of age? Her ear was up at week 10 for about 5 days then back down and no sign of popping up since. We’ve tried moleskin and other items to make it erect but never stays.
    Have any suggestions how to correct? I’m afraid the window has closed but still slightly hopeful the ear will pop up.
    Ive heard there is an implant option but wont consider that until she older.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    I do have an Akita, but, I’m not an expert at all, certainly not on ears.
    I have seen several pictures of Akitas with “ floppy “ I think they look cute - sorry that’s not helpful !
    I wondered if your Akita is purebred or a cross with a dog that has “ floppy “ ears, so, that’s just how it is !
    Looking forward to reading other people’s advice
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Hard to say whether the window is closed or not all dogs are different.
    Giving bones and chew toys will help strengthen the muscles in her jaw, neck and ears as well.
    Make different noises that will get her attention so she uses her ears.

If you are thinking of taping, talk to your breeder and make sure it is done properly or you could do more harm than good.

As for the surgical implant procedure, thankfully such procedures are banned in UK )I’m not understanding why you are desperate,Going under anesthetic is dangerous and there's always a risk that they will not wake up. That’s a risk I wouldn’t take purely for a cosmetic procedure.

Have you got a pic .
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    See @Oakley's last thread, 'Oakley has got so big'.
    Pictures at 7 months 3 weeks, and that ear is still down - looks cute though.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka likes this.
    Aw, bless him, he's a really handsome chap.

Love him for who he is not what you want him to be and you'll soon relax and really start to enjoy him