7 wk old w/uti.... Questions

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Momto2Rotts, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim

7 wk old w/uti....

Hello friends I'm so sad this evening. My little girl i guess has a uti. Her symptoms are peeing, or trying to pee, ALL DAY LONG but not being able to bit a couple dribbles and a couple times a bit more than that. I called the breeder and he said he def believes it's a uti. Now my problem is the vet said to bring in a urine sample. So for literally 6 hours!!!! I followed every pee she did, which was about 40 times I'd guess, all just dribbles.. So finally by 3 I had about a teaspoon full (they never told me how much to bring) so when I got there they told me that was no way enough pee, that I needed like 1/4 cup. Really?!! If I got a tsp in 6 hours how the heck long will it take to get that much? 3 days? She could be sick by then. I'm so upset. So they sent me on my way till i got more pee.

Thinking at 5p now that i need to maybe go to an emergency vet since she's whimpering and not able to pee, they said they can't extract pee from a 7 week old. My options are still to catch pee. Had anyone had a baby with a uti? Is it easy to clear up....if you can ever get the meds? I've felt so horrible for her all day , plus im tired. I've crawled on my hands and knees all day catching dribbles. Can anyone offer me some peace of mind for her? I did have a vet appt in the morning that said to just bring what pee i can get then they'll give me the right meds she needs. But any thoughts to help comfort level tonight? Thank you. Sorry this is so long. Oh and the diaper lasted 2 mins. Haha. 20171114_075804.jpg 20171114_075804.jpg 20171114_142606.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I hope you get this, yes go to e vet! It could be something worse than UTI if she's not able to pee but it might just be a UTI. Mine cleared up easily with antibiotics. So don't fret. Just go to e vet or a different vet, that one is ridiculous. My vet did a urinalysis with maybe 1 CC on a boy pup (who didn't have UTI, but I had him sampled same time as his sister who I knew had symptoms) because the assistant was missing his pee when trying to catch it. Very little and they ran it. My female had plenty, but they didn't use all that, they just sucked up a little bit in a syringe of what they had actually caught.

Please update us!
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh, poor bubba. And I am 100% with @Bulldogs4Life - a fully trained vet should be able to check even one drip of urine to see if the pup had an UTI. I had a hand-reared pup that I was sure was not peeing properly at four days old when I stimulated her, and just one drip was enough to diagnose her.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    By the time I have read your post I hope you got some “ professional “ assistance
    You must by exhausted, physically and emotionally
    Your poor baby. Please let us all know how you are gettin* on
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just reading back - whose idea was to put a diaper on the bubba? Only that is the worst thing to do for a possible UTI as it keeps any infection just where you do not want it.

As probably most Breedia members know I am a permanent chair user, and having spinal cord damage I have problems with incontinence. And frequently get UTIs due to "sitting on it" and needing pads. It is something I am used to now and does not really bother me. But I know that it is a common occurrence with chair users because we cannot let the area dry.

So to put a diaper on your bubba will be just keeping any infection, if she does have one, from staying where it is - and quite possible making it worse.
  7. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thank you everyone for your replies. This is such a nightmare i can hardly believe it's going on. After reading everyone's replies I'm even more upset now with that vet. Not only is it so sad to see her trying to pee and not able to but i have NEVER in all my dog training years just had to let a puppy pee anywhere in the house she squats. All rugs are picked up and we have just the living room blocked off for her but we have pee filled towels, dirty shirts, baby blankets and pee pads everywhere! All laying on the floor ready for us to use to wipe up the next pee dribbles. She squats to pee seriously every min to a min and a half. Do you know how many times that is in just 30 mins?!! Let alone a whole entire day? Omg exhausted is definitely the word whoever said it above. We'll be sitting on the couch and she just squsts to pee here, then over there, then here and we all just watch her poor baby. There's nothing we cam do about it. It really hurts my heart since pad training and grass training were going so well too.☹ We're all stepping in pee dribbles and I have to take care of my grandbabies in 30 mins. One is 2 and the other is 5 months old. Thank God my husband is off and taking her to the vet soon!

We have an appt 1st thing at 830a, so about an hour, and I have about maybe a tbsp of pee collected. I'm so upset if I truly find out all they only need is a syringe full and that other vet let me leave with my puppy in pain. I will probably have to leave a negative review on their business because that is so wrong of them. And they're the ones that told me to bring in a urine sample between 2 and 4. They didn't tell me how much I HAD to have but I guess I should've asked. Ugh.

I'm sorry im so upset and rambling. I'm tired and I'm wearing the same peed on jeans as yesterday, why not right? I just want her better. Surely when she's healed up she'll potty train again correctly right? I'm having visions of her always squatting and peeing wherever she wants forever. Lol. I know I'm wrong it's just lack of sleep and sadness taking over. Thank you all for your kind words and help. Btw it was me that put the diaper on her. In my weariness of cleaning 100 pee puddles i thought it might help. I knew she'd hate it and have it off in a few seconds, well I took it off, but it did make for a funny picture in the midst of crazy at the moment. I will post later with some news. Good news I pray!
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I imagine the vet will give antibiotics as a matter of course and you should find things clear up very quickly.

Yes, you'll soon get back to a house training on a more normal schedule.

Poor little mite. The first vet sounds like one to avoid.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh Kim - I was not having a go at you about the diaper - I was just trying to explain why it was not a good idea. And if it is any consolation when my beloved Pereg [the one in my avatar] suddenly came into season one night... On My Bed... which had a pale apple green sheet on it... I ended up with a maroon and black sheet until she was over it and could then be spayed three months after her season had finished.

Umm, no, not the same sheet all the time - but I had to sleep - so did she - and I had Lexi sleeping on the bed as well...

So if you are wearing a peed on pair of jeans - so what? Pereg did a lot more uckies on me than she did on my bed.

And Tikki pee'd in her crate again this morning because I could not get up in time to let her out.

So what?

Your gorgeous bubba will get back into being house-trained once pee is back to normal.
  10. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Oh Malka, I didn't take offense, no worries! I actually appreciate the info because had she been willing to keep it on I would've left it on to save my sanity. Ha. But not to the detriment of her health, no way. This is definitely just a very trying time right now but hubs is at the vet now so hoping for good news soon!
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Nothing to add to what has been said already. Just wanted to wish you well at your vet appointment.
    It can be difficult to collect pure urine from a baby. If all else fails, shove some clean polythene sheet under her, and suck the piddle up with a syringe.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am still trying to get my head around a vet needing more than a drop of pee in order to do a urinalysis - but then I reckon my vet is far more knowledgeable than my GP is, who had me in hospital the last time [and believe me, it really was the last time she ever prescribed an anti-b for an UTI].

@CaroleC just said, it is difficult to get a pure urine sample from a baby - whether they are four or two-legged - but even a drop should have been enough to check for an infection. And vets should know because little puppy girls do sit on it when they pee. As do human baby girls in diapers.

I do hope your bubba will be OK.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think he might intend sending it to an external lab for a full urinalysis. I think I had to supply a 20ml sample for Merry's full analysis last year. This will prob. be impossible for a baby which is not holding on to it for any time though.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not for a basic test for an UTI Carole - and for a puppy that young it would only need a basic test which I would have thought that the majority of vet surgeries can carry out. 20ml is five teaspoons and you are right - a puppy can really not hold on to that much.

How do you think hospitals can test for a possible UTI in a human baby which does, after all, be diapered?

An UTI in a puppy does not have to have a full urine analysis - one drop on a Q-tip should be enough to see if there is any infection. Not five teaspoons full.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not thinking right. A teaspoon is 5ml therefore 20ml is four teaspoons. Sorry.
  16. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Omg, my husband is having to go to vet #3 right now. I'm beside myself upset and wish I was with her. This place seems to care and said it doesn't matter how much pee they'll even treat her Symptomatically if needed . Finally!!! A caring voice of reason.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I honestly do not know what to say now Kim - it just seems impossible that you cannot find a vet who knows what he or she is doing.

I just hope that a vet, whichever one it is, can help your bubba - and to heck with her peeing on your floor or your jeans. Floors can be washed as can be jeans, but if your bubba is in pain then she needs to be helped.

I am really upset about this and I just wish I could do something to help.
  18. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thank God he's at a good place right now. I just hung up with him, and they said that was PLENTY of pee and if it wasn't they'd treat her based on the symptoms. Why couldn't I find them yesterday! I just want her to feel better.
  19. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    I live in a ridiculous city that has more ppl than things to offer or do. Every vet is booked till Dec for new patients. Even when I get my hair done I have to book 6 months in advance! We're jam packed here, it's a military town also and every marine has at least 2 pit bulls and only a handful of vets. It's really crazy. I love my home and my property (30+ acres!) but I'd love to pick it all up and move somewhere else. But my kids and grandkids are here so I'm not leaving.
    Edit: just to clarify I LOVE pit bulls and have TONS of military friends here that I love. I didn't mean for that to sound rude about either, just that it's a huge part of this city. And of course there are your problem pits that give them a bad name AND problem marines too. Lol.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am sort of crying now because no way should your bubba have not been diagnosed and treated yesterday. I have the most wonderful vet in the world - I reckon everyone on Breedia knows how I love him. And his wife!

Seriously, I would trust my vet more than I trust my GP. She is very nice but she will issue a 'scrip without even thinking that it might be an allergen for me. Been there, done that, and I think that was the time that I lost Baby Ziva. Someone here will soon tell me if I am wrong.

My vet really is the most wonderful person ever. Who else would have come at 1am or whatever time it was, to give my beloved Pereg peace? And who else would come here every three months to give Tikva her Parkworm shot? Ah, but he always gives me a big hug before he marches her through to my ensuite to weigh her!

Kim, I really hope that your bubba is now OK - did her breeder have anything to say about the UTI?

Big hugs for you xx
  21. Momto2Rotts

Momto2Rotts New Member

Name:
    Kim
    Thank you everyone! Got my baby girl back, she's doing great! Does have a bad uti but not the worst she's ever seen Dr said. They gave her her 1st dose and hubs said they were all falling all over themselves for her cuteness! Lol. He said she was perfect, behaved and was sweet. She's so tough, even in pain she's sweet. ❤
    He also said all of them, from front desk girl to Dr were all wonderful and kind so I think we've found our new vet! Said she should start feeling better as early as today but for sure by tomorrow. I'm so happy it wasn't anything worse! I don't care about pee all over the house or on me, even though that's all exhausting, but its her being healthy and not in pain that is #1! So happy!. Now she's pooped so it looks like nap time.

Thanks again for all the love sent our way. We appreciate it and only other doggy parents understand the pain and hurt you feel when one of your fur babies is not feeling well.
    Oh and she's a whopping 14lbs now at 7 weeks! ❤ 20171115_123409.jpg