A detailed Akita question. Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Umur bayraktaroğlu, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Umur bayraktaroğlu New Member

Name:
    Umur

A detailed Akita question.

Dear ladies and gents, I have read the forums and before I ask my question I wanted to tell you a little bit of me and my family and the situation...

I am 42 years old and my wife 39 so we are not a newly married couple. I had a four legged brother Sunny (a golden retriever)when I was 18 thn when he passed away at 15 years old, and I understood that I can't be without a dog... So we had our boy Loki (a dogo argentino) 3 years before our marriage with my wife :) thn we get our girl Chyanne (a giant schnauzer) and 1 year after that we adopted a three year old stray that has leishmania (Lucky) as our second girl. Long word short, Lucky passed away this april because of her disease at age 8 and Chyanne passed away at 6 years old this july. So 2017 is a pretty sad year for us and Loki. Now Loki is 9,5 years old (neutered) and we see that he needs a sister because he is really sad and needs his four-legged pack... Since we are mother father figure for him (or alfas you can say) he really needs a pack.

I generally took Loki, Chyanne and Lucky to a forest near us and they got to play with 17 strays off the leash, swim, run and didnt have a fight ever. I am really an Alfa for both the dogs that I know and that I dont, if I sense some kind o problem, just raising my voice puts and end to any kind of problem that may occur since Sometimes new strays come or just pass by from that area. Anyway, an american akita is the breed that I am thinking of right now, but is there any problem of barking or howling ? Since we live in an apartment that has a garden of 80 metre square, Loki & Chyanne and Lucky had their room there that is connected to our house but they dont get in the house just sleep and rest there. So barking too much is a problem for us, what say you about Akita's bark habbits ?

If we decide to get an Ameican Akita, does her energy level match with Loki ? Loki is now way to 10 year old, we walk about 6-7 kms a day but this will be less in a few years, like 2-3 kms maybe. Is this a short walk for an akita ? When she is 2-3 years old she have to coop with 2-3 kms with Loki also ? I wanted an owners opinion for that so I wanted to ask you all.

Another question is, off the leash walks & runs in the forest; is it a dream for us with an akita, or any of you doing this ?
    I know that they are little bit head stong breed, but a dogo argentino is head strong also, and he do just fine with walks and playing with other dogs. What is your opinion about akita ?

Thank you for your time and answers already.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If you get a puppy it will not be advisable to walk it for 4/7 kms until it is older.
    Temperaments vary depending on breeding and environment but they are by nature a dominant breed with high prey drive and known for being aggressive to strange dogs.
    There is always the exception to the rule but not many owners allow their Akitas to run free they are generally known to have unreliable recall and because they are very independent dogs, even when well trained with their strong hunting instincts and dominance toward other dogs, letting them off lead can easily lead to disaster.
    Barking habits vary, mine were not really barkers but again it depends on the individual dog.

The alpha theory has been debunked
  4. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Name:
    Umur
    hey GsdSlave, thanks for your reply :) First of all I sure will not walk with her all that kms since her joints and bones and muscle build will still be "a work in progress" untill she is old enough. As for off the leash and barking questions I still be waiting for akita owners answers since I think they will have their answers related to the experiences on their dogs. I have read every forum and web site about that questions but they vary so wanted to know owners point of view :)

Thanks for your reply and time GsdSlave :)
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don’t have Akitas at present but have owned two in the past, hence my post.
    Mine could not be let off-lead as they were not good with strange dogs, and though well trained would still take off outside given the chance.
    As I said in my previous post’ barking habits vary, mine were not really barkers but again it depends on the individual dog.
    Answers will vary as it boils down to the individual dog.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    4580A982-997C-412A-8526-2CECE3A5C8EB.jpeg
    Everything HsdSlave has said make sense. I have a Japanese Akita Yoji, he is now 9 months old.
    He is turning into a really happy well mannered dog, saying that his recall is hit and miss and he is male dog agressive, which isn’t uncommon, so, we keep him on a lead. Thank goodness we do because in his short life 5 off lead dogs have come over and wanted to attack him, we were able to deal with it because he was on a lead, if he wasn’t it would have been disastrous
    When you walk an Akita you have to be as alert as they are and manage them
    The breed is not for the faint hearted
    They have a complex personality, but, if you have the time to invest they are amazing
    I hope I haven’t sounded negative about the breed
    Let us all know what you decide and show photos if you can
  7. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Name:
    Umur
    Our walks were generally like this so thats why I have fixed my mind at off the leash walks & runs & swims :( maybe I am just missing my girls and that times I am not sure. Thx for all your time and replies Gsdslave and My bear Yoji ;) will take all your replies into consideration. Maybe Akita is not a wise choice or maybe it is but with luck and much alertness in hand. Chyanne and Loki has 8mt length flexi leashes so maybe if we decide on an akita, she can be off the leash about 8 metres :) time will tell. But will look for more input also, gather what I can and thn decide. :) thanks again for your time and replies.

Attached Files:

8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Thanks for the photo Umur, it’s a cracker !
    You mention the 8 meter flexi lead, we have 2 leads a short one, we call it his trading lead and a long one, it’s actuall a lunge rein used for horses, it works well for us as it gives him quite a lot of freedom
    Philippa
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not have an Akita and have never had a large dog, but I would not think that an 8 metre leash would really be long enough. My small 6kg dog is on a 12 metre tether when at home and I have a much longer leash [probably a horse lunge rein] which is attached to my mobility scooter for when she [and my previous dog] goes out to an open area, although both had/have perfect recall so were safe to go totally off lead.

But 8 metres is really not that long, especially for a large, strong dog like an Akita. Also, if by flexi leash you mean a retractable one, are they strong enough for such a dog? I have never used a flexi leash so I honestly do not know how good or not they are, but I would use one although many people do and are happy with them.
  10. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Name:
    Umur
    Hey Malka :) flexi that I told is, retractable yes. Loki is 46 kgs and Chyanne was 40 kg. The flexis that we use had no problem even we use them under rainy, sunny all conditions via whole year. Loki's flexi is still working without a problem since we had that flexi about 8 years now. But the flexi is got to match breed standarts so we have the flexis for "giant breed" types :)
  11. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Name:
    Umur
    C2AC63AB-B55B-48A8-964C-4F13E41CFDF2.jpeg 3E52EF01-430F-47B5-809F-A9907023E1C7.jpeg Let me introduce our little girl Arya to you :) on the background Loki, her elder brother also :)
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just adorable! :007:
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sweet puppy. Are they getting on well Umur?
  14. Umur bayraktaroğlu

Name:
    Umur
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Hey Malka :)

Thanks a lot :) we also love our little girl since she drives us mad sometimes with all the tearing, wrecking havoc she does in the yard but well, we were ready ;)

Hey Carole :)

We really do get on well both as humans and Loki wise :) but I must admit that they are like no other breed to my short termed point of view(2.5 weeks for now) . A golden retriever, a dogo argentino and a giant schanuzer I had since I was 17 to 42 and they are/were awesome, but an akita is something looks like :) when I call her, I can see that she is evaluating the reason and if there is a good thing like hugs or a treat or kibble thn she comes, otherwise she may come if she wants to but generally stand still and evaluate more :) the other breeds we had are vame running to us, never evaluating a thing.

She knows what no means but she takes it a "no for very short time, will do what I want for the long term" :) for this very short term I can say they are not stubborn but strong willed for sure.

We are now socializing her with humans, dogs and more important of all cats. She respects cats if they dont run but looks like this will take some time, since ahe is a puppy and loves to chase anything and she juat loves to chase anything :) high prey drive like GsdSlave mentioned above :)

We are just learning lots of things but these are mains things that she taught us right now :)
  15. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Little bundle of mischief :049: