A few sighthounds you might not heard of. Photos

Discussion in 'Hound Forum' started by Kitkat_, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie

A few sighthounds you might not heard of.

Azawakh
    Okay first off my favourite and one that you have most likely seen. The Azawakh, they are a KC registered breed, though still on the import list at the moment.

Azawakh, the African sighthound, is a dog of the Touaregs, nomads of the Sahel region in the South-West Sahara desert, which covers areas of todays‘ Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger. It is a primitive (in other words natural) breed, in the creation of which man has influenced in a limited manner. For thousands of years, more than by purposeful breeding, this breed has been shaped by harsh natural conditions so that it could survive and fulfill its purpose. It is one of the oldest breeds in the world. In its regions of origin, the Azawakh has been used not just for hunting as other sighthound breeds known today, but unlike the majority of sighthounds, it has also been a guard dog which dauntlessly guarded cattle and settlements of its owners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Silken Windhound
    The Silken Windhound is a graceful, small to medium-sized sighthound with a moderately long silky coat. This breed owes its unique appearance, elegant build, and the athleticism of a true coursing dog to champion Borzoi and Whippet ancestors. The Silken Windhound can be any combination of coat colors and markings, from spotted to solid, black and tan, saddled, brindle and sable, pure white and reds to deep black and blues, and a rainbow of colors in between.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One pictured next to a Borzoi
    [​IMG]
  4. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Caravan Hound
    The Caravan Hound is an Indian breed of dog of the sight hound type. The feathered variety is commonly referred to as a Pashmi. In the villages he is known as the Karwani. It is a common companion amongst village folk in India's Deccan Plateau, who use the dog for hunting and guarding.

The Kennel Club of India (KCI) and Indian National Kennel Club (INKC) recognize the breed under different breed names. The KCI registers it as a Caravan Hound while the INKC goes with the name Mudhol Hound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Silken Windsprite (AKA Longhaired Whippet)
    Longhaired Whippets are a delightful, small, coated sighthound. Although closely related, they are a totally separate breed from the more widely known smooth coated Whippets.

Longhaired Whippets are incredibly versatile and enjoy everything from playing ball to lure coursing, agility to tracking, obedience to hiking, nosework to freestyle dance. . . or simply sleeping late, taking leisurely walks, or lounging around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    They are all beautiful but somehow I am drawn to the Silken Windhounds and Silken Windsprites, although it would be hard for me to choose between the two.
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    very nice, i can appreciate how beautiful they are and i love to watch a hound run but i could never have one, i like a chunky dog and dont like the feel of bones under my hand. Although im feeling bones on phoebe right now its ok, yet my friend things im mean as i wont cuddle her whippet
  8. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    fieldy and 6JRT's like this.
    Cirneco dell'Etna
    The Cirneco dell'Etna (pron: "cheer-nay-ko") is a small hound from Sicily. While it is found all over the Italian island, it is particularly in the area surrounding Mount Etna, an active volcano, where they are used for rabbit hunting on the rough volcanic terrain.

The Cirneco is an ancient breed that has changed very little for perhaps 3000 years. They undoubtedly share ancestry with the other similar breeds of the Old World, such as the Ibezan Hound and clearly the Pharaoh Hound, with which Cirnechi (the plural of Cirneco, pronounced "cheer-nay-kee") are frequently confused. Over the millennia, man has hardly altered them, and we really have to thank nature for giving the breed its ability to work for many hours in the heat with little food and water. Cirnechi are extremely hardy and free from inherited health problems. Loyal, friendly and very affectionate, they are attentive, keen to learn, and highly intelligent, though more than a little mischievous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Podenco Andaluz
    The Andalusian hound (Spanish: podenco andaluz) is a dog breed originating in Spain, especially Andalusia. Dogs are similar to other Iberian breeds such as the Ibizan Hound, the Portuguese Podengo, the Podenco Canario and the Maneto. In the Iberian Peninsula there are cave paintings that represent dogs that have a strong resemblance to these races. In fact, it seems that dogs have been bred very similar to those in much of the Mediterranean basin since ancient times, including Cirneco dell'Etna andPharaoh Hound. But there is also the tradition that the podencos were introduced into Spain by the Phoenicians through their colonies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
  11. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Hortaya borzaya It is a dog of large size, of lean but at the same time robust build, of considerably elongated proportions. In its everyday life the hortaya is quiet and balanced. It has a piercing sight, capable of seeing a moving object at a very far distance. In spite of its calm temperament the dog has a very active reaction to running game. Hortaya are excellent, enduring hunting dogs endowed with a good, basic obedience and completely lacking aggression towards humans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Chart Polski (Polish Greyhound)

The Chart Polski is an ancient, short haired sighthound. Its presence in Poland has been attested to in literature since the 13th Century. The breed probably originated from the Asiatic sighthounds that were of Saluki type. The breed was historically used for hunting hare, fox, roe-deer, bustard and wolf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    6JRT's likes this.
    And some well known ones but no everyone knows these coat types.

Salukis can come in smooth coat as well as the usual feathered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afghan Hounds also pop up in a smooth coated variety

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A more common one but Ibizan Hounds also come in a wirehaired/broken coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    They are all beautiful but could never own one as I would want to feed them up.
  15. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    I'm LOVING these dogs!!what does the caravan dog hunt in India??amazing how the different breeds adapted to there terrain like the cirneco dell etna with its big ears.
  16. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    Thank you for a very informative posting, I had heard of some, but by no means all of these breeds. Can I have one Silken Windsprite and one Broken Coated Ibizan please?
  17. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    CaroleC likes this.
    The breed is above all a working hound, capable of providing an excellent performance in the field on a consistent basis, under gruelling conditions that would be far to much for most other dogs. They are elegant, graceful and courageous. Its physical strength couples with great speed and plenty of stamina to allow it to catch and kill several types of game, from hare to blackbuck, over rough country.

Sure *hands over a Windsprite and Beezer to Carole*
  18. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    Fab Katie! Send a few over..I'm partial to abit of game pie ;)
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Love Azawakhs! Fully intend to own one at some point in the future. Previously wasn't struck on Silken Windhounds or long haired Whippets, but these pictures have changed my mind. Oh, and the Caravan Hound is wonderful too! Never knew Afghans came in a short coat variety. You learn something new everyday.

What about the Sloughi, Katie? ;)
  20. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    I will be owning an Azawakh in the future, know some good breeders in Germany. I didn't put Sloughi because I thought that they are a bit better known, but I will add them later :)
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Kitkat_ likes this.
    Hounds have always been my favourite type of dog. Every single one of them is beautiful. I find them gorgeous just to look at, but when they start to move, they are sensational!