A genetics question - tan points on English Springer Spaniels. Discussions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Ripsnorterthe2nd, Nov 12, 2007.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There have been labradors with tan marking as well.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara
    Never seen tri point tan markings in Labs, ,although in regard to the reference of labradors with tan markings, That is not a recognised colour by the Kennel club Breed Standard whereas with English Springer Spaniels, the tri colours of Liver, white and tan and Black white and tan are both recognised as one of the breed standard markings.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Yes I know they are not a recognised colour, however mismarks appear in many breeds so the colours come from SOMEWHERE, they do not just suddenly appear out of the blue! (excuse pun) ;)

It was really just to underline the genetics issue.
  5. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara

Yes, fair enough..wonder who the labs have been cavorting with then!!!
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    None, they were DNA tested as pure labradors, verified by the KC; it happens. Same happens in Weimaraners, the odd "ginger job" turns up.

Someone I know bred a litter of Weims (it was in fact a singleton) and the markings were exactly like a dobe. 8)
  7. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara
    interesting..you could go on for ever, researching things. Its fascinating isn't it?
  8. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well it certainly makes you more wary of those who say "this is impossible, (insert relevant breed) only come in (insert relevant colour) it must be a x breed! :)
  9. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara
    Yes, I know re liver, white and tan english springers, that we bred,that people had to check that it was a KC allowed colour because they look like so different facially an dhilarious that they have tan bottoms under the tail .

Regarding the 'cavorting' remark earlier that was said as a joke as I believe dogs were around before the Kennel Club was!!
  10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I have actually seen a tan-pointed Weimaraner. I was convinced at first it was a fawn Dobermann but no, the owner said it was pure Weimaraner, and her other dog (usual colour) was its full brother from a different litter.
  11. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara
    were these labs and weimies, like we have with the spaniels with tan points? Interesting to know. We are alwasy learning new things aren't we ?
  12. Sgurr

Sgurr New Member

Name:
    Enid
    I can give you a link but I'm so new I don't know whether I'm allowed to?

Sgurr
  13. Torwind

Torwind New Member

Name:
    Shara
    link re what? Always up for a link to read stuff and learn more!!