A History and Description of the Modern Dogs of Great Britain and Ireland. 1899. General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by CaroleC, Jan 20, 2015.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz and LMost like this.

A History and Description of the Modern Dogs of Great Britain and Ireland. 1899.

@LMost may be interested in pages 1 - 38. But other breeds are included - worth checking for yours..

This is a facsimile resource, copyright free, from the 'Internet Archive' site.

A History and Description of the Modern Dogs of Great Britain and Ireland. (non - sporting division). including toy, pet, fancy, and ladies dogs. (1899).

http://archive.org/details/historydescripti00leeriala
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Should add, for other breeds it may be quicker to try the Index, pp 413 - 428.
    @pugluva lots on Pugs!
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Great read. My only issue with it is it does not adress the piebald in anyway when stating the issues the writer had with the breed in 1899. Which by doing so allowed him to state some items as fact that are clearly not.
    Wish there was a updated modern version of this since the lines reffered to are now gone in many cases.
    Since WWI and WWII brought the breed to almost extinction in the UK twice.
    Todays modern mastiff can be pretty much be traced back to one man Tobin Jackson who for around 30 some years breed to improve the breed and bring back soundness and keep the true temprament. It is also why 99% of the mastiffs currently in the world can be trace back to having his mastiffs in there lines. He produced Wycliff multi westminster champion, and the producer of the most champions ever, Semper Fi, and Goliath the most famous pair.
    Sadly with piebald being written out of the standard around 1875, leaves him calling part of the portraits alpine mastiffs which where not.

While it is sadly true in the last 20 years there has been a rise in byb for money and again todays mastiff has a lot of issues, though there are a large number who breed for the betterment of the breed so today I would say there are more sound Mastiffs in the world than when this was written, and sadly many more unsound poorly breed.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I must confess I've only dipped into it myself. As a former toydog exhibitor, there is a lot to read, and I do find it easier to have a physical book in my hands. There is often little of present day relevance in antique dog books, but just occasionally you do come across a little gem of information. I think the engravings are particularly good, but as Arthur Wardle is one of the illustrators, that shouldn't be surprising - he was perhaps the foremost dog artist of his time.