A Little Bit about the Borzoi in Russia in 1800/early 1900's General Chat

Discussion in 'Borzoi' started by lovezois, Jul 20, 2007.

1. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice

A Little Bit about the Borzoi in Russia in 1800/early 1900's

For those who are interested here is a little bit a about the Borzoi in Russia in the late part or the 1800's going into the early 1900's.

In Russia in those days each Estate had its pack of hunting hounds , when the estate was broken up so was the pack of hounds. Although the breeding of hounds was for function rather than appearance, hounds from one estate often had a uniform appearance. This was nrt only because they were related but because some huntsmen believed that certain behaviour patterns were accompanied by certain physical characteristics and bred accordingy. The number of hounds decreased and the Christopsovoy and the Gustopsovoy hounds were mated together so that once again there was only one Russian Psowaya Borzoi.

The best data from Russia came from the visits of the American Joseph Thomas to Russia to find hounds for his Valley Farm Kennel. The first American imports were from Britain and the first Brisish Imports did not come from the Best Russian Kennels. Queen Victoria's granddaughter was married to Tsar Nicholas II and her Daughter-in-law was a Borzoi Exhibitor, so there was easy access to dogs from the Imperial Kennel. Unfortunately these hounds were generally very poor. In fact The Tsar sent 6 Borzois over to be exhbited at Crufts in 1892, they were not very good specimens in fact the phrase used for one of them was that you could drive a bus through its front, and as for the others.......

Mr Thomas first went to Britain in his search for hounds in 1902, he inspected several kennels there and after weeks visiting every prominent breeder in England he was convinced that England was little if any better off than the United States.

He had seen photos taken in Russia of hounds that he called 'ancient type ' meaning the breed before the cross with the Crimnean hounds and with this picture in mind he travelled to the Imperial Kennel just outside St Petersberg at at Gatchina where there was a hunting estate. Unfortunately Mr Thomas saw only two out of eighty grown dogs theat he should have liked to possess, but what was more discouraging was the fact that no distinct type was visible. Some were well coated and other to the contrary, some had fairly good heads while others were poor types - not borzoi but greyhound. The reason for the lack of type in Britain and America here became immediately patent, as more speciments had gone to these countries from the Imperial Kennels than from any other.

He tavelled to Moscow , where the editor of a sporting paper happened to mention that Mr Artem Bolderoff had an excellent kennel and that the Tsar's cousin Grand Duke Nicholas also had some hounds.

Mr Thomas travelled to Tula, to the south of Moscow where the Grand Duke had his hunting Estate . He was met by Mr Dimitri Walzoff who was in charge of the kennel. Mr Thomas wrote I was not at all prepared for what I saw in those wonderful kennels. The size and evenness of type of the hounds were wonderful for any breed. Originally they were all white and grey; but have now bred white and tan, tan and black, all grey, and even black and pure white/I]

When the Grand Duke put the kennels into the hands of Mr Walzoff , who had previously had his own hunt. Mr Walzoff collected together many of the remaining old hounds, from all parts of Russia, which carefully bred together the Perchino Hounds. It was possible to build up a pack of top quality hounds because of the lack of restrictions.

The next Kennel visited was at Woronzova where Mr Artem Bolderoff has his estate. No more hospitable welcome or charming visit could have fallen tot he lot of anyone in any Country and I shall never forget how nearly impossible it was to tear myself away after a week's stay. I obtaned some hounds better than all - in excellend English and French - a complete explanation concernng borzoihistory and breeding from that well informed fancier , rhe master of this domain of ten thousand hectares. One's first though ois why have the English and American breeders not secured specimens of these dogs and why has not more been heard of them.There are three suffering reasons answering thisquery. Primaril these wonderful kennels are very remote from the ordinary travelled route; secondly owing to the English dog quaranrtine laws, very few Borzoi have in recent years left Russia[written in 1912] and thirdly years ago when exportations did take place, this type was not fashionable. So far as I can ascertain up to the time of my trip no foreign borzoi fancier had ever visited either of these kennells.

The revolution of 1917 almost wiped out the Borzoi breed, but that is a story for another day. Think I have written enough for now and hope you will not find this boring.

This is courtesy of my friend Des Scott's book "The Borzoi" without whom I would not know as much a out the breed as I do now, but in comparison to Des and many others I know very little. Its like everying in life no matter how long you live you are always learning.

3. pod

pod New Member

Name:
    pod
    A very interesting read. Thank you!
  4. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Strangely, I really enjoyed reading that, you learn something new every day ;)

Lovezois, I guess I will have to wait for the Part 2 - Borzoi near Extinction.

Thanks for that ;)
  5. john100

john100

Name:
    john
    Great post. I love the history on any breed In my younger days i had visions of owning a borzoi and working it. But then i got older and wiser, i think. Do people work them, i'd be interested to know
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Great post. I love to read about breed history, got any oldie piccies you can post?
    Becky
  7. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Super Eunice, enjoyed it!
    Dawn.
  8. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Thanks for taking the time to post that Eunice, it really was a good read :grin: can't wait for the next chapter x
  9. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    good one eunice a good read,i like borzios,a friend owned one til she died at 16 is that old for a borzio,her legs went she had arthritis,she was tan and white,she was graceful and i rember saying i love her im going to have one of them,but life took diffrent path and my love for boxers,stopped me.
  10. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thank you all glad you enjoyed it.

Sixteen is a very good age for a borzoi . If you get them into double figures you are doing well. I lost my darling old Sam at 13 and then Ludmilla my Golden Oldie as some of you will know at 12.

John 100 as regards working them can you explain what you mean please . I know some people do Lure Coursing with them.

Will try to post a follow up sometime . Can't guarantee pictures though Becky but will see what I can do.
  11. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    I also really enjoyed this, thanks and look forward to hearing more when you have the time :)
  12. Toby

Toby New Member

Name:
    Janet
    I too enjoyed reading this and enjoyed. I shall look forward to the next chapter and thank goodness that they were not wiped out in the revolution of 1917...animals always suffer in the wars and strife of humans!
  13. Sue L

Sue L New Member

Name:
    sue
    Really enjoyed reading this and look forward to what happened after the revolution

Sue
  14. lovezois

Name:
    Eunice
    Thanks Hali Toby and Sue L

Shall get round to the next part soon.
  15. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    that was a great read eunice i really enjoyed reading that xxdk [​IMG]