Aaaaahhh - new keyboard Technology

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Aaaaahhh - new keyboard

I think I have mentioned before that I have a habit of killing keyboards. Well I do not always kill them, they just pack up. So I always get Effie, my computer guy, to get two or three [or four?] new keyboards for me to keep in stock. Just in case.

I had been using Logitech [cordless] but when I was on the last one he brought me four Microsoft keyboard/mouse/units. So when my last Logitech decided to pack up yesterday morning I fished out one of the new Microsoft ones.

And the bdooly thing did not work because there was no wotsit to plug into a USB port. And where is Effie? Probably on holiday as he was not answering his telephone.

PANIC. Actually no, because Hai at the macolet does have keyboards [and other techie stuff], so I buzzed across the road and picked up a new keyboard/mouse set. Conhooked it and great, it works. Nicely. Seems to be a lot faster than the Logitech although maybe that is because it is new.

Minor problems. It is smaller than the Logitech, not a problem in itself as it gives me more table space, but a few functions are not where I expect them to be, so I find I am having to look at the keyboard to find where they are. No instructions in English, of course, [it is an American keyboard with the usual English letters as main, and the Hebrew letters on the same keys but much smaller]. And no media keys for music and video control, which is not really a problem as I can control those from my monitor.

Mainly it is the positioning of the various function keys that are confuddling me but I guess I will get used to them.

In the meantime the four Microsoft keyboard/mouse sets can go back to Effie - when I can get hold of him - and having looked at the boxes it says "Requirements: Windows 8 - Windows RT - Windows 7 and Windows Vista". They obviously are nbg for Windows 10 whereas the box of the new keyboard specifically states "Compatible with Windows 10". And the new one has guaranteed long-lasting batteries, plus on/off little switches on both keyboard and mouse.

I think the make is Rapoo and it is made in Holland. I bought the last one Hai had and have asked him to get another two for me. Just in case, dontchaknow.

It is just a matter of getting used to the slightly different layout of some functions but thank crunchie Hai had a keyboard for me!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have a similar problem. I spend so much time on a tablet these days, (Google keyboard), that I am like a complete learner when I switch back to the laptop.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not have a tablet or a smart phone, and the one time I tried to use a laptop was not a success. :oops:

My pc sits on a shelf beside the table and my monitor sits in front of me on an upside-down [empty] large ice-cream container to bring it up to a decent height. And that is going to be a problem if I have to have replace it.

My original monitor was a 17" square one and when it had to be replaced I wanted a 19" square one. Only square monitors were well on the way out and I did not want a wide screen. For a start I do not have the table space for a wide screen monitor, and also I hate them. Which is why I do not watch television these days because it looks like an elephant is sitting on the screen and everything is short and squat.

So Effie found a 19" square monitor for me, which cost quite a lot more than a 24" wide one, but at least I got what I wanted. Only I do not think square monitors are made these days, just like square televisions were no longer made when I had to replace my old one . Have not been for yonks AFAIK.

Maybe it is old age [probably is!] but I like things that I can use without having to find a six-year-old to teach me how to use new this new technology.

Anyhow, I think I have worked out how to find the media keys. There is a key on the bottom row marked Fn and I think that if pressed together with one of the F keys, which seem to be dual purpose, it will bring up what I want.

Oh how frustrating it can be when one gets old. SIGH