Ad with another dog at home Questions

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by Jim &Chloe Bear, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Jim &Chloe Bear

Jim &Chloe Bear New Member

Name:
    Jim

Ad with another dog at home

glad I found this forum. I adopted a 2 year old American Bulldog 1 year ago and is just the best dog ever. We go to doggie parks. Pet day care and she loves to play. My question you loves to play constantly and can tell she gets bored. We are considering adopting a male rescue AB our current is a girl and think she’s would have a blast with a brother. Does anybody have exeerience with being a new dog into the home. I have been researching and get conflicting info. Some say the bully breeds love having a friend to live with I have seen others that say the prefer to be the one and only. Any insight is greatly appreciated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Welcome to the forum Jim.
    Sorry no experience with Bull Breeds, but I'm sure someone will be along who does have. In general, I would say you are better introducing them on neutral ground, and perhaps take them both for a walk, which gives them something else to focus on.
    Jealousies can surface during the first few weeks. Don't know about AB's but food fights are a particularly common problem in my breed, and I would take steps to avoid close contact at feeding time until I was sure that they were going to be OK together.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What makes you think she gets bored and what are you expecting from getting another dog ?
  5. Jim &Chloe Bear

Name:
    Jim
    Another dog for companionship. She is not home alone all day as my elderly mother lives with us but not much fun. Bored. If we ignore her in the evenings she is very rambunctious. If you have a blanket on while on the couch she will pull it off and run around the house. She is not destructive but will stand with a ball in her mouth begging to play. I bought my neighbors home due to it having a much leather fenced yard which she will enjoy. I am a long time boxer owner and know how any of the bully breeds need lots of stimulation and attention.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    If she is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, then she needs to learn to relax inside the house and that being in your company doesn't always mean playtime.
  7. Jim &Chloe Bear

Name:
    Jim