Advice Needed! ( Cavalier King Charles exercise) Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Hippo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Name:
    Simon

Advice Needed! ( Cavalier King Charles exercise)

Hi everyone, we're thinking of getting a Cavalier King Charles and just want some advice about exercise.

Our existing dog, a collie/whippet cross is exercise mad and we're a pretty active family. We'll generally fit in three or four walks a day, including if possible a 2.5 mile run and most evenings an hour and a bit of cycling. We like trips to the mountains for a bit of scrambling and waterfall climbing.

Does this sound like a lifestyle a CKC would enjoy?

Thanks in advance

Simon
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jessi Clark

Jessi Clark New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Don't know obviously why you're thinking of a ckc if you know a breeder or have seen one in rescue then you might have your heart set on one but that sounds more like a springer lifestyle than a ckc to be honest. I've never owned a ckc but have quite a bit of experience with springers and cockers, a ckc would propably go and go but be knackered the rest of the time whereas springers, and working cockers actually, will just carry on and on and on.... You say your existing dog is exercise mad which will be the breed so another high octane breed would easily be able to keep up, a springer would thrive on all that exercise. Other people will have different opinions of course and there might be people that own ckc on here that can disprove all the things I've said about them!:grin:
  4. Vodkalass

Vodkalass New Member

Name:
    Joanne
    Your life style sounds like springer heaven to me.
  5. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    my CKC x could run and play all day, she loves it.
  6. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Sounds more like a Springer lifestyle to me too..
  7. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Name:
    Simon
    Well thanks everyone for your help and advice, we've replaced the cycling in our fitness regime with a nice long walk to make things a little more cav friendly, it also means we have more time to socialize with dogs and owners :grin:

We've also been looking at rescue places etc and have managed to find a new addition to the family...............allow me to introduce Olly :grin: He's 6 months old and is a super active bundle of fun. He needs a little bit of training, which should keep us all busy!

Anyway time for some pics of the little chap!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here he is with our other dog, Sophie who he is maybe a little TOO fond of!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Manyana13

Manyana13 New Member

Name:
    Maryann
    Olly is beautiful and so is your other dog! Congrats on the new addition to your family!
  9. missy01

missy01 New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    he is really beautiful. No chance of getting fat either with your lifestyle which is great!
  10. katie1

katie1 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    He's adorable if i had only seen him first:lol: they make a great team your so lucky . They play just like my too:grin:
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Well done on rescuing a Cavalier.

Please remember that he is still a puppy when going walking & keep to the 5 minutes per month of age rule. He will be quite willing to go forever, but could end up with joint & growth problems if he has too much walking etc before he has finished growing

My 20 month Cavalier loves my BC puppy & plays for ages with her & my Mr Wu(who is my next youngest BC)
  12. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Both your dogs are lovely. Congrats on your new addition to the family, sounds like a great lifestyle as long as you take it easy while little one is still young :)
  13. trudge1978

trudge1978 New Member

Name:
    trudi
    he is adorable
    but then again he's a cavalier and i have 3 of them :grin:
    if your looking for more information on the breed i could recomend some great site for info
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    CKCS can take as much or as little exercise as they are given, there are several that compete successfully in Working trials and Agility etc.