Advice please on bc pup Questions

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Jonesy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy New Member

Name:
    Helen

Advice please on bc pup

have just taken on a 14 week bc called bella, she is now on her third home and it will be her last, but we have a lot of things that we are working on, most of her training is coming a long very well.We are just going nice and slow and using lots of reward and praise,but she has never been outside and is really scared of other dogs,I just dont want to put her under any pressure as i think she has been through such a lot in a small space of time, She can be very timid one minute then bold the next,Any advice on the best way to take her forward (i have had her two weeks) thanks
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Make sure you protect her from other dogs - find a decent class to get her to and make sure she can sit in the corner and learn how to come out of it in her own time.Collies like thier own personal space...make sure she gets it and introduce her slowly to older steady, none threatening dogs.

Good luck with her.
  4. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I`d say take your time - and I have one who will probably not be ready to go outside till well into next year. :grin:
    Build up a good relationship with your dog, put in some positive training to give her confidence, do lead-training in the garden... then maybe a toddle up the road?
    Every time she goes out and is frightened reinforces her fear. It`s not possible to jolly a frightened dog along. They freeze or run. You have missed the best time for them to learn about new experiences, so it will come, but it will take longer.
    Please avoid flooding your dog - it can traumatise and really doesn`t help. If she`s never been out, it is a whole new ball game to one that is just a bit shy.
    You need Baby steps. It is very tempting to plonk a lead on and march down the road... but it may set you back months. I know because I`ve made that mistake.
    If you have a friend with a quiet dog, invite them round but keep it short and gentle.
    And well done for taking this dog on. :grin:
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy New Member

Name:
    Helen
    its funny how it happens, i so wasnt looking for another dog,already have 1 gsd and 1 bc but she came in looking for a home and i just had to keep her (have worked in rescue for nearly 8 years)and never really wanted to take one home.didnt really need persuaded:roll:
  6. BrendaMarie

BrendaMarie New Member

Name:
    Brenda
    I'd say (weather permitting) leave the door open to a secure part of the yard, that way the pup can just go out when she's ready and not rushed... maybe put a few treats just over the thresh hold to make it positive :) just be sure she does it on her own (not you forcing her out) so she's %100 ready for the new experience. Also I like the idea of the finding a class and sitting in the corner, that would also work if you had a friend or two with an older non pushy dog. again let her come up to the dog on her own time. I'd work with her going outside first though (just what I'd do) :)
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Just wanted to post an update on wee Bella , she has just passed her kennel club silver and is now working towards gold :)) its been hard work but great fun and she has done ever so good .Im well proud of her ,now when she sees other dogs she looks at them and then me and gets a nice treat or a cuddle. She loves running around in the garden (shame about the plants ) and really enjoys her walks and running around and playing with some of her doggy pals.
  8. TazJas

TazJas New Member

Name:
    Linda
    well done Bella. And well done you :)
  9. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    What a lovely happy ending to the sad 'thread' you posted nearly two and half years ago. Well done for not giving up on dear Bella - she certainly landed on her feet the day she walked in to you home:grin: Congratulations to you and a big hug to Bella.:grin:

Thanks for coming back and telling us how she's getting on.:023:
  10. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    Well done both of you.
  11. susannah92

susannah92 New Member

Name:
    Susannah
    Great to hear that Bella is doing so well. Well done you for giving her all the help she needed. Hugs to you both.
  12. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    Lovely to hear how she is getting on, well done......
  13. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    so glad to hear this had a really happy ending :) well done you