Afghans - info please! Discussions

Discussion in 'Afghan Hound' started by x-clo-x, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jeanyg

jeanyg New Member

Name:
    jean
    Sadly any breed of dog/cat/human are prone to these?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    A friend of mine used to have 2 which I occasionally waked, stubborn as mules they were and thick as thieves the pair of them, lovely looking though not for me. Loyalty did not seem ever to enter their mind either...
  4. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Not at all. Laryngeal Paralysis is rife in Afghans, until recently its been ignored, my boss who has owned and showed Afghans for over 30yrs has had several with it, mostly from different lines, however all popular, well exhibited lines from long established and well respected breeders and exhibitors. Im sure you have heard of "Sylvia Evans?" If so, Im also sure you will be aware of the work she has done to get these health issues bought to the fore with many many Afghans dying too young, still doing so too. Apart from LP, these problems include cardiac issues, Hypothyroidism and auto immune problems.

The median age for 193 reported Afghans in 2008 was just 6yrs!! Thats shocking!! The report also makes specific mention of Laryngeal Paralysis, and a very rare lymphatic condition which is also causing concern as it appears to affect Afghans more than any other breed.

These links may be of interest to you.

http://www.affieloverbreedclubs.co.uk/thyroid_disease.htm

http://www.affieloverbreedclubs.co.uk/immune_disease.htm

http://www.affieloverbreedclubs.co.uk/laryngeal_paralysis.htm
  5. gizooty

gizooty New Member

Name:
    amanda
    hi.. ok.. so
    IM a first time Afghan owner, i got Tails 2 years ago.. hes my EVERYTHING.. i love this breed..
    then i got Merlin lasy Aug, he is 5yr old.

ok so
    my TWO
    love people
    Love ALL animals,
    Love free running, and Tails gets off lead anywhare,AND he comes back.
    they Are NOT stupid, they are VERRRRRRY intelligent, althou they are similar to a cat in their independence, this is what i got told.. mine, well i think i must have Strage ones, cos mine, love me and every one, always willing to please me, they love racing, they Love getting mucky and playing, and then love getting groomed,
    iv not had any of those Health issues, nor do i want to.
    heres a few pics i took of my Stupid dogs,
    Oh also, Tails is a P.A.T dog, he quailifyed at that when he was 8months old.
    And Clo... yes i want a Black Powderpuff now.. lol

so here is my Untrainible affies
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/3monkeys.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/2.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/1.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/8.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/6.jpg
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk14/bitsa59/Afghan Hounds Tails n Merlin 2010/5.jpg
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Nobody said they were untrainable, but they certainly are NOT reliable. You know me from the racing, with the Borders, you recall my boss? the one with the Dobermann? she has owned Afghans since 1972 :shock: she has had plenty of experience with them and for the last 18yrs, so have I.

Sue is a VERY dedicated Affie owner who has had some dreadful health issues with her dogs, unrelated lines in many cases. When a dog dies at 6, 7, 8, 9yrs of age in a breed like an Afghan, there is something very wrong. We even heard of dogs dropping dead at 10mths! One of Sue's Afghans was very well bred from long standing exhibitors, the pain and misery that dog endured was horrific. As a young dog she was like lightening on the track, LOVED to race, she was also one of the few affies that could be run loose in most places. The breeders need to sort out their house and breed from stock that can make it to double figures!

With regard to temperament, they are certainly NOT like Cats. I always find that an amazing comparison, considering many afghan owners cant have a cat because of their dogs!! (not all of course :002: ) Afghans do not make ideal pets, and thankfully the majority are owned by those that know what they are getting, the "boom" they incurred at one time, stopped quickly and their popularity weakened, this, I believe helped a lot as they stopped being mass produced.

As for unreliable being loose, why do you think they are run on the Greyhound track? Why do you think they advertise "safe" running and plenty of folk to catch your dog? They are far from reliable, but thats an Afghan, if you dont like it, dont have one, too many buy for the look of a dog, but as I said thankfully with the Afghan that passed.
  7. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Having owned afghans from 1972 to 1993 and still in touch with many people in the breed I don't know anyone who has lost their dog at a young age, (apart from one who died of bloat) and that is a lot of afghans. They certainly do not all keel over at a young age.

I personally owned 8 over the years and the youngest I lost any of mine was 12 years old and he had cancer. As a very young puppy (before I owned him) he ingested moss killer and was seriously ill, the veterinary college asked for his body but he had miraculously pulled through so I think he can be excused for his untimely death.

I am sure like any breed or indeed crossbreed there can be problems but I don't believe it is that common.

Yes they certainly are intelligent they are also very loyal and loving they can be aloof with strangers and mine were very protective. They do make good pets but only if the owners are prepared to put in the work required to maintain their coats.
  8. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    Hi.
    Can I suggest you read Sylvia Evans articles, you will be enlightened to say the least.

Hypothyroidism, Auto Immune disease, Laryngeal Paralysis are common in the Afghan. Im delighted yours lived to a ri[pe old age, in fact Sue's Afghan is 13yrs old now, the oldest she has had one, but far from a "healthy" life she has had.

They are keeling over and they have. I personally know two of the ones that did. An 8yr old male, apparently healthy, walked in the back door and dropped dead. A 10mth old puppy, racing one day and dead the next, again totally unexplained and an apparently healthy dog. Just take a look at the ages that these dogs are dying.
  9. gizooty

gizooty New Member

Name:
    amanda
    well i hope mine are NEVE EVER ILL.. lol
    im realistic thou.. and there sooo many problems out there..

yes i know its you dawn.. was waiting for you to tell eveyone i doped the mutts HAHAH...

i know what you mean, i wasnt being a cow, i was just saying in Genaral, i hate when people say they are Stupid dogs,,,
    i let tails off the lead, he does some obedience, and im planning on getting his Gold good citz by the end of the year..
    i do think i have a One off thou.. he is special, youv seen my spacker at racing, hes such a joy, and a love. and will race anyone, last year was racing some new Boarders.. lol
  10. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    You are right, i just wish breeders would do more.

Ive seen them run, I know they arent doped! :mrgreen:

i
    I know you werent, they are an "acquired taste" thankfully they generally appeal to those who will care for them properly.

Sue had one that was really good off lead, she was a blue/black, she was delightful, affectionate and obedient, have to say she was lovely (as all the others are/were) but she was a very sweet girlie.
  11. Sue L

Sue L New Member

Name:
    sue
    I agee they are not stupid - just have minds of their own:) I used to run five off lead at a time but one would only come back when HE was ready - although he was never far from me, just unable to touch him:roll:

I have lost two at young ages but Jenna at 13.5 is the oldest so far. I have had 4 have tie-back surgery and even now Jenna is showing the symptoms of laryngeal paralysis. Both of my last two have been hypo-thryoid and have not had the best of health all through their lives. I think Jenna has nearly caught up with my dear Ebony for being a walking vet bill:cry:

I have been thinking for a long time of getting another puppy but having had Ebony and Jenna with such poor health (both from completely different lines) I have decided to have a Border Terrier.

I have to say the home will not be the same without an Affie when the time comes for Jenna to go to rainbow bridge
  12. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    But both from very respected and experienced breeders and exhibitors.
  13. Sarah88

Sarah88 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    My mum used to say I should have one... She said they were tall and lanky like me! :? :lol:

But she said that without any knowledge of dogs (my parents are 'cat people' :shock: :lol: ). I really don't think I would be able to have one. They are gorgeous though! A breed I've always loved from afar.... :)

S xoxox
  14. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    I have seen an Afghan at a lure coursing event and it was one of the fastest dogs there, although it was in the group with the large dogs, wolfhounds etc. (not the border collies). A friend of mine also had a golden coloured one and I would say he was aloof, but certainly not stupid or untrainable. His coat certainly needed plenty of attention. As has been said not a first time dog owner breed, but very beautiful.
  15. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    Nice photos - hardly dare say it, but they remind me a bit of some labradoodles I have seen (aren't I naughty - only joking :043:
  16. gizooty

gizooty New Member

Name:
    amanda
    SUE.. there is a cream bitch for sale on Preloved..
    i dont think the woman wants affie ppl knowing who it is as she ignored my emails(cowbag).. but im nosy and found out haha.. she wants £400.. and its 2yr old... in Lichfield...
    are you SURE you dont want another'/???? ahhaha
  17. gizooty

gizooty New Member

Name:
    amanda
    yea only cause they look scruffy as they havnt had a bath in a while..lol..
    they certinly are nothing like a Designer x breed..
    AND i cut my boys hair.. OOO arnt i mean.. lol
  18. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    If I said to you Sue has probably spent over £20,000 on her last 2 Afghans in just a few years, can you see why she may not want another? ;)