Aggression? Questions

Discussion in 'Rottweiler' started by Kimberly514, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Kimberly514

Kimberly514 New Member

Name:
    Kimberly

Aggression?

i have a 6 month old male Rottweiler and just got a 12 week old male Rottweiler, my 6 month old has never showed any signs of aggression has never barked at other dogs or people or growled or anything like that.. I don’t know when this 12 week old puppy was taken from its mother maybe it was taken away too soon. When they play together sometimes the puppy gets a little too bitey but my other Rottweiler doesn’t correct him or anything cause he thinks he is still just playing I think. Sometimes when the 12 week old is laying down and you go to kiss his face or something he growls and snaps at your face and when we first brought him home he would squirm if picked up but he doesn’t do that anymore, and now he rolls over on his back, before he wouldn’t. Is this an aggressive dog or does he just need more training? And if the playing gets too rough is there anything I could do to get them to both stop? I’ve heard shaking a can with coins in it works but if it’s just the puppy being too bitey I don’t want to scare or correct my 6 month old if he’s not doing anything wrong. It has only been 4 days so maybe when the puppy isn’t so new things will calm down? Any advice will help! Thank you!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    My first choice wouldn't have been to get two males so close in age, but this just sounds like normal puppy play to me. I wouldn't like to use any negative methods like coin cans with them, much better to let them know that they are being good when they are being gentle with each other.
    Lots of dogs do not like us to lean over and put our faces too close to them - especially when they are lying down. For just four days in a new home, he sounds as if he is confident, but give him time to adjust to the changes, and take his training slowly. He is a big puppy, but still very young, so no scary methods - lots of little play and food rewards when he gets things right.
    I love your avatar photo, they look as if they have known each other for weeks.
  4. Kimberly514

Kimberly514 New Member

Name:
    Kimberly

Yeah because they are so close in age my 6 month old is still a puppy and sometimes when there playing and they get a little rougher then I am comfortable with I forget that he is still a puppy too.. the 12 week old will snap and let him know when he is done playing but he still tries to play, but my 6 month old has never growled or snapped at him aggressively even when I think the 12 week old is biting him too hard, but I guess if he doesn’t correct him it’s okay?
  5. Kimberly514

Kimberly514 New Member

Name:
    Kimberly
    And I am actually more concerned with him snapping at growling at people, if my 6 month old felt threatened in any way I guess as animals they figure that stuff out themselves?
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    GsdSlave likes this.
    What stunning looking pups
    I think puppy play can sometimes get a little tiresome for everyone, even other dogs and can sometimes turn a little nasty if one of them has literally had eneough and doesn’t want to play anymore
    Do they both have an area where they can take there selves off for some quiet time, if not it may be something to encourage
    One other thing you may not have thought about, pups need HUGE amounts of sleep and I mean 18 hours out of 24 is a general guide, something you could research, if they don’t get their sleep they will become irritable and will not respond well to training, let alone mental & physical growth
    I’d love to keep hearing of your progress, good & bad
    Philippa
  7. Kimberly514

Kimberly514 New Member

Name:
    Kimberly

They sleep a good amount but they only do so when they are both exhausted, due to the fact if one isn’t as tired as the other one and is walking around, the other will get up and follow them around. My 6 month old has never ever growled or snapped at me or my boyfriend he is very very easy going and it seems nothing really bothers him. The new puppy seems to get irritated when he is tired. I guess since the older one has never done any of this it makes me nervous that the puppy is aggressive. Other then when he’s tired or done with playing he is a sweetheart. I will keep you updated though and thank you for the advice!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You can always give one of them a 'time out' if you think play is getting over the top.