Aging of GR Health

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by Ceefer, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam

Aging of GR

I have heard it said that GRs dont age as well as labs, can I ask what this is in relation to? It is health wise or is it appearance?

I probably sound really thick now :blush:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    I think I made that comment on your other thread. As I mentioned there, this observation was based purely on the dogs I know personally - I don't claim it to be true across the board. It's simply that I know a fair number of both breeds, many of whom are oldies, and the Labs have seemed to age better. Just my observation :)

They are both fabulous breeds.
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not noticed any difference myself and I have met many of both breeds.
  5. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Again, it's just my personal experience. It may simply be that the Labs in my area are from better breeders than the Goldens...
  6. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    I can't say I've noticed much difference either, and I've known many of both breeds live to grand ages. Some aged quite well, others not so well. I think its down to genetics, and the individual dog.
  7. Ceefer

Ceefer New Member

Name:
    Tam
    Ahh ok thanks, I have never had a GR so am just trying to do lots of homework before committing
  8. CapitanJackSparrow

CapitanJackSparrow New Member

Name:
    E
    I used to have GRs and when they aged, they looked beautiful but cataracts and hip dysplasia, and cancer often got the better of them. Goldies are truly some of the best and it's worth expensive vet bills to keep one healthy and happy.