Akita coat concerns Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Maldo321, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony

Akita coat concerns

Good morning everyone,

I had a general question for the community regarding your dogs coats/skin! My Akita kuma just turned 5 months today and the other day we noticed he had a skin tag pop up on his snout about an inch under his eye. Naturally, this concerned me so I took to the internet to see if it’s normal and what not. Which led me to a skin condition called sebaceous adentis (probably misspelled). Some of the pre cursors are a stiff coarse coat. And on our kumas back he does have long black and brown coarse hair. I originally thought they were guard hairs. I asked the vet about it last month when we went in for his rabies and finishing up of shots and he informed me it was just his adult coat. Do any of your dogs have anything similar? Is it anything I should be potentially concerned about?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Anthony and Kuma - welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me :039:

I do not know anything about Akitas and/or their coats, but I would definitely seek your vets advice about the skin tag.

Please do not rely on the internet for veterinary [or human] health conditions, unless you want to spend 24/7 worrying whether it is this or that or whatever. Only your vet can tell you for sure what the skin tag is. Not the internet.
  4. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    Thank you for the reply! I completely agree and intend on taking him into the vet. He’s scheduled to go next month to get neutered and was curious if it’s somethinf I should wait and discuss then or go straight away.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I would keep a close eye on him and if it seems to spread or gets worse then it would be best to get a biopsy done.
    Here is a link to Akita skin disorders http://www.akita-dog.com/Akita_Skin_Disorders.html

Why do you want to neuter him?
    With large breeds its recommended to wait until they are at least 18/24 months old , is best as that's when research suggests the growth plates are closed and lack of hormones will be less detrimental.
    There is lots of info on the net about neutering do lots of research before reaching a
    decision.
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/long-term-health-risks-benefits-associated-spay-neuter-michele-o-hara

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...vior-changes-when-dogs-are-spayed-or-neutered
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What makes you doubt the vet's opinion that this stiffer coat on his back is just his adult coat coming through?
    The skin tag on his face couldn't possibly be an attached tick could it?
    I'm not trying to be clever, just checking.
  7. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    It’s not that I doubt the vet, just an overly concerned puppy parent lol. Yeah it’s not a tic. We do hike frequently so he’s checked for tics quite often.

Part of the breeder agreement so that we don’t stud him out essentially. We are most likely going to wait till he’s nearly a year tho. That’s just the initial appointment the vet set out after we first took him there at 8 weeks.