Alaskan Malamute coat color help! Discussions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Anghel, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Anghel

Anghel New Member

Name:
    Anghel

Alaskan Malamute coat color help!

I just got my 2 month old Alaskan Malamute Levka a week ago and ever since I picked him up from the farm he lived in I noticed his white and gray fur was a bit yellowish? Is this normal for Malamutes or should I bathe him with a whitener?

I visited him when he was 4 weeks old and him and his siblings looked like this.

[​IMG]

This is him now.

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    When you say you got him from a farm, do you mean puppy farm/puppy mill? Did you see his dam and sire, and had they have all necessary tests, and are the pups registered with a full pedigree?

I do not know anything about the breed but one thing I will say is that bathing him with a whitener is definitely not the way to go if that is his natural colour.

He is a cute looking little pup and I would just accept that his colour is what it is.
  4. Anghel

Anghel New Member

Name:
    Anghel
    Thank you for the reply. The breeders house was at a farm, and they are a highly regarded breeder (the only Alaskan Malamute breeder here in Iceland infact). The breeder let the puppies frolic in the grass and such. I haven't met the dam and sire yet but Levka has gotten all of his shots and his pedigree. I took him to the vet today and they told me his coat might have stained at the farm as his undercoat is white.
    However I am still unsure of using a whitening shampoo. It might just be his coat color as you said.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Now I know your are in Iceland I understand a bit more - I had been slightly puzzled why Levka had a Russian name so wondered where you are! I am, however, surprised that you did not see the dam and sire but is his colour so important? As long as he has been seen by your vet and he is healthy, I would not worry about the colour of his coat.

If his undercoat is white then maybe his coat will whiten when he has his first moult. And if not? He is still a cute little pup whatever his coat colour will turn out to be, and I still do not think a whitening shampoo is a good idea, much as I do not think teeth-whitening toothpaste for humans is a good idea. Each to his/her own though.

Levka is such a cute little fellow, whatever his colour. :)
  6. Innocence

Innocence Member

Name:
    Jane
    Anghel likes this.
    Hello there,
    Levka is gorgeous! OH NO I have mixed feelings about whitening toothpaste as well so know I wouldn't stand for this whitening lark. Doesn't the yellow come out with normal shampoo?
    Jane
    xx