Alfie (English Setter) Photos

Discussion in 'English Setter' started by Helen, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen

Alfie (English Setter)

Alfie is almost 9 months old so decided to start his training. I don't like to do too much with them until they get up on the grouse and I like to get them on the grouse either in spring, or summer. I do like to take them out a little bit to get them used to running a bit, away from their mates and where there is a bit of scent.

He does lack a bit of confidence and didn't want to go too far but did show some interest in a rabbit. Depending on the dog, I will either allow them to chase or stop them. I allowed Alfie to chase.

[​IMG]

It wasn't on the moor proper but we were just below. Signs of grouse roosting there but didn't see any - which I was hoping for as they wouldn't sit tight, which is why I wait to get them onto the grouse when they are. Makes training so much easier:

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist this one. He seems to have such a connection with Sam:

[​IMG]

Will take him up again but I might take him out with Dotty to give him that little bit of extra confidence and then try him on his own. He still is very much a baby, even though he doesn't look it. Total contrast to Jim, our 6 months old BT.

Going to be an exciting year with his training and hoping we can do a small count with him in August but I won't rush it as it took Dotty a couple of years to get going, although we did make a LOT of mistakes with her.

Helen
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GirondeDeb

GirondeDeb New Member

Name:
    Con
    He's gorgeous, Helen, and he certainly looks the part. Forgive my ignorance, but will he do the same job as your Pointers?
  4. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Exactly the same job as them (although we only have 1 pointer now, and 1 gwp :( Last year was a bad year for losing dogs :()

Helen
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a lovely picture of him with Sam! :grin:
  6. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    You're 3 months ahead of me with your pup, look forward to seeing how you progress. The OH wants to nick my girl either for his peg dog, and/or to work on the grouse moor as well! :)
  7. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Beautiful creature....... :049:
    [​IMG]
  8. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    Thanks. He seemed to slot into the pack with no problems at all and really took a shine to Sam.

She should be able to do both Tarimor and I'm sure she will enjoy it :)

Helen
  9. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I love working setters, it's a shame you dont see more, even at game fairs etc.
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    They are one of the few breeds that are still just used purely for working. There is the odd one in the pet home but not many. I'm not sure they would be my first choice for a pet tbh. Absolutely perfect for what we want them to do though.

Helen