allergies General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, May 26, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

allergies

hi we had blue at the vets today , it's getting to the stage now where it's costing 200 pounds a month it's very stressful , as we do not even have this amount of money . I took him today as his lost all fur around his eye , his ears tips , his having to wear a cone and shoes otherwise he is ripping himself to pieces . We had him tested for mange 3 times now and everytime is negative , we've tryed him on royal canin hypoallergenic dog food and there's no change , so vet don't think a food allergy .The vet belives his very young but he could be a dog who is allergic to so many things and that it's very bad for his age , she called it a name but I'ved forgot what it is . I was quite shocked and very hurt today because the vet suggested that if this don't get better , that we might have to put blue to sleep , which I would never imagine doing , it hurt me so much her suggesting that had quite a bit of a cry today lol . We want to get him blood tested but at the moment we do not have that money Straight away , we have no pet isurance because his allergies started before we could even put him on one and now they will not cover him . It's horrible blue has not been able to sozalize with other dogs because his constantly hurting himself , he wakes up in the morning and comes says hello by rubbing his body on me , I'ved caught him rubbing his face off concrete , now I can't even leave him on his own because I'm so worried of how much his gonna hurt himself . It's been so stressful and I feel like we're getting nowhere with him any suggestions would be so helpful thank you .
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    katie134 likes this.
    I am so sorry to hear this Katie, I know how much you love your boy. Allergies can be so very difficult to trace, do you think that the allergen could be something seasonal - like pollen, or something that he meets in his everyday home life? If it is mainly his face that he rubs, is it something that he is sniffing at? Have you tried regularly wiping him down with baby wipes.I know you are in London, could you possibly get treatment from one of the charity clinics? (PDSA, RSPCA, Blue Cross).
    Has your vet ever suggested trying him on an antihistamine? Piriton is the one which is most often recommended for dogs, you can check the doseage for Blue's weight on Google. If you go to the chemist to buy it, do not say it is for a dog or they will not sell it to you. Best wishes, I hope he can get some relief soon.
  4. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    his had this since he was 4 months now , so it was happening in the winter aswell. It's all over his body under his arms , his feet his eyes , ears , chest . With the cone blue can't scratch so that has eased off some places but his eye has just lost fur on its own , had to scrape it today to make sure again it was not mange so he looks very bad bless him . But the vet said after 3 skin scrapes she's postive it's not mange .I wash his feet down everytime he comes in to see if that helped , but it's not really . The rspca won't help him because his not nutured not sure about the blue cross , we have also have had him on piretion but I'm not sure if we kept him on it long enough to see improvements .It's made everything so difficult I just want him to be a happy puppy , but his so focused on his itching it's like he can't think of anything else . I think personally his allergic to something in the air , but it's just getting the money to have it done and him suffering in the meantime . Thanks carole for your help , any advice is so helpful x
  5. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    katie134 likes this.
    I've been there with Finn :( There is a new drug called Apoquel which Finn was on. It stopped the itching right away. Downside it cost about £50 a month due to his size but a smaller dog would be cheaper to treat. Worked out a lot cheaper than repeated vet visits.
  6. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    Thanks carole , I'll have a look and ask the vet about that . I think I'm actually gonna change vets , yesterday was a 140 quid and she did nothing didn't even give him cream to sooth his eye and suggested we should put him down which I'm very angry about now , his not ill apart from the allergies , his not dieing so I think it was a very hurtful thing her to say that X I will try the cream as we're spending up to 200 pounds anyways so if something could even be 50 at the moment and help that would be great thank you X .
  7. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    has anyone had the blood testing done also and the shots that they get after . does it work , and has anyone tryed coconut oil .
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    katie134 likes this.
    Is the problem localised to his head/face area, or is it more general?
  9. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    hi chris no It's in a lot of places not just his face and head , he gets very bad rashes under his arm and on his chin and chest , he had it really bad where he was biting off the hair on his hind legs and he was ripping skin off of his legs , so I'ved had him in a cone and shoes for about two weeks , but his eyes just got bad on its own there is no hair and it's red raw it looks dreadful , they had to scrape it and now it's looks 100 times worse . I can't take the cone off because if I do his making things so terrible , I leave him for 30 seconds and come back and his itching so hard in such a short amount of time that he will cut himself very quickly .
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    katie134 likes this.
    I know it's probably a long shot but the other day I was reading an article from "Dogs Naturally" called "Natures Benadryl : Quercetin.

Quercetin is a homeopathic remedy which when combined with Bromelain is said to be effective in the relief of environmental allergies.

It might be worth your investigating it further?
  11. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    katie134 likes this.
    Have you tried Wafcol Salmon and Potato just to rule out any possible meat allergy? Sometimes a novel protein source (ie the salmon) can help to fully eliminate a food cause.

Try rinsing him off all over his head, body and legs after every walk - he'll soon get used to it if you aren't currently doing it.

Try to keep him off grassed areas where ever possible (grass allergies are pretty common)

Vacuum regularly to try to keep down dust mites in the home.

Don't use things like shake and vac, fabreeze or similar in the home

Wash any items he may come in contact with with non-bio washing powder

A thin tee shirt can sometimes help with contact allergies, but be aware that we are coming into warmer weather

Allergies of any kind are a nightmare even when identified, but without a specific cause it's wise to try to eliminate as much as you can then add one thing back at a time to see what causes a reaction.

Good luck. I truly hope you manage to get him sorted.
  12. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I will try look into that nature's bendaryl , anything is helpful . I had him on lots of non grain diets , potatoes and salmon and the vet diet I don't belive it's a food allergy I really think it's more something outside . We had him off the grass for about 8 weeks , but we've had to let him back in the garden , I'ved cut the grass to almost nothing , and he has to wee down there , because we were letting him go on the concrete bits but it was starting to smell really bad . He loves the garden as well he crys at the door to go out , so I really hope I won't have to stop him . It's so hard it could be anything , it's so difficult to just trace everything down . He has had this since he was 4 months is it common for a dog to get all this very young , I don't remember the name the vet said but it's something to do with allergies and she's saying blue could be suffering from it . It's just so stressful , he don't have the best of a life at the moment , I don't let him play in the park with dogs because I'm worried about the grass , I did bring him a couple of weeks ago to the park and he came back covered in rashes so he can't even socaliaze which is not helpful for him because he don't really know how to say hello to dogs properly , I try socaliaze him as best on our walks we go on but it's very hard especially him being a staffy, most people who don't know us will avoid him anyways . Thank you for all your help and I will update you on how blue is going , I'm gonna try all the advice you have giving us and see if it makes any change , in the long run I really want to get him allergy tested it's just saving up the money and helping him in the meantime . I'm only young , I'm 20 and blue is actually my first dog , I brought up and looked after on my own , so I'm not gonna lie I was not expecting to have all this stuff when I got him , I'ved just gotta do the best I can do for him now and hopefully things will start to get better . ☺
  13. BoerboelMom

BoerboelMom New Member

Name:
    Ife
    Veterinarians want to keep your dog sick. First off, put your dog on a raw diet. Royal Canin is absolute garbage. Second, stop all vaccines immediately. The vet even suggesting that you euthanize your dog while he is doing nothing but perpetuating the illness is absolutely vile! Third, put him on a supplement called Only Natural Pet Immune Balance. Most allergies and auto-immune support needs are caused by an imbalance in your pet’s immune system that cause uncomfortable problems, including excessive licking, congestion and discomfort. Not to mention the frustration you experience from watching this happen to your pet.
  14. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    I was thinking of a raw diet , ived been looking into it alot, but I don't really know where to start . will this change his behaviour In anyways , ived had people telling me not to do with him and other saying it's amazing .Yes I. agree with you I was so shocked that the vet could even consider that , after all the money we've spent you would think something could of been done .I will look into that , as I do not want blue on steroids it only seems to make things worse when he stops and.his so young it's not something I agree on . Thank you for helping , his broke out in all hives tonight his very frustrated bless him .