American Bulldog General Chat

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by MichaelM, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael

American Bulldog

There's not many of them around here, I've only ever met two. There's one local, I bump into him and his owner now and again - daft as brush, always wearing a big smile, friendly as you like, totally stunning (the dog that is !).

From speaking to his owner I know what kennels he's from, so decided to look them up to see if he's a Scott/Johnson/Hines...

Browsing around the net, I'm must admit that I'm quite surprised what turned up on Gumtree, freeads, pets4homes etc.

I don't know what exactly it is that defines a dog as being a Pitbull "type", but I am aware that if a dog meets an arbitrary standard (height /looks) that it may well be classified as being this type.

Given such a loose definition, who in their right mind would cross an American Bulldog with a Staffie ? I strongly suspect that the offspring might well resemble a larger Staffie - which would then be in danger of being classed as pitbull "type".

Other than that, there are AB cross BullMastiff, AB cross French mastiff, AB cross Pressa, AB cross Old Tyme Bulldog etc etc, just what are these people thinking ?

It's quite sad, and I really am surprised by the number of these dogs being advertised given that I've seen so few.

On a different note, if you've got an AB, how about some nice pics to brighten the mood?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    if you go on my profile and look at threads started by me there is a couple of pictures of my american bulldog (Buster aka Buzzy). i am going to be adding more. so look out for them.

hope this helps :001:
  4. MichaelM

MichaelM

Name:
    Michael
    He's a strong looking dog - 9 stone !

:)
  5. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone

Name:
    Jules
    He's a big boy is our Buster! lol soft as anything. He's two and bit weary of strangers. he's great with other dogs can be a bit rough sometimes though if the other dogs being rough too. :001:
  6. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    There are quite alot round where i live ! One of my neighbours across the road shows and breeds them i believe,He has 4 i think.
    Another i see occasionally on walks and she's very gentle with my beagle pup,lets her chase her round the field and do zoomies together :) :)
  7. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I see a dog regularly that I thought was an AB but it is actually a Boxer x Bulldog. It is a real bruiser of a dog looks-wise but very soft.
  8. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Crossing an AB to a SBT would only be done by a numpty who is either trying to make type dogs to sell as plastic pitbulls for money or just plain stupid and not realising they could be breeding illegal dogs.

My AB's

My puppy Cage - Hines x Kinghaven
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My old girl Kimba - Hines x Johnson
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

I am not sure why you believe crossing any breed of dogs is "plain stupid" as this occurs a lot; nor to I understand the comment "they could be breeding illegal dogs"?

What is illegal about an AB x SBT?:?
  10. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

I must be missing something here as i can't see where it is stated crossing any breed of dog is plain stupid.
    What has been stated is that crossing an AB with a SBT is plain stupid and i totally agree and i'm sure any responsible breeder would agree.
  11. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    But why do you think it is stupid?

And why would the x be "illegal"?
  12. Murv

Murv New Member

Name:
    Chris
    They're certainly impressive looking dogs! I've never seen one out and about around here.
  13. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    There are quite a number now competing in Schutzhund.
  14. Murv

Murv New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Just realised from the posts above...
    There probably are lots of the above crosses around, the current trend seems to be for immense "Staffy looking" dogs. That huge size, whilst retaining all the staffy, muscular appearance may well be from these crosses. I had wondered how they were breeding these dogs to be so large!
  15. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

I can't honestly beleive you are asking me this and regards being illegal then you better direct that one to the poster.
  16. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    That would be I don't have an answer for your question then?! ;)
  17. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Because breeding an Ab to a SBT would most likely produce dogs that under section one of the dangerous dogs act would fall under pitbull type renderring them illegal!! So not only would someone be dumb to do such a cross on purpose but also extremely cruel to breed a litter of dogs that could be seized and destroyed because of how they look.
  18. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Living just outside London and knowing alot of the blokes who are making these crosses personally, going to athletic bullbreed events and various bullbreed shows I see plenty of pits aswell as type dogs that in the eyes of the law would be a pitbull from staff x dogue bordeaux, staff x AB even staff to english bull terrier will throw type dogs none of which actually have pitbull blood in them but would be seized and possibly destroyed!!

I'v known full kc staffords that are 19" that have been seized because they fit the bill the police are looking for.
  19. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Anyway back to AB's!! Start up a new thread SmokeyBear if you want to continue this.

One more of my boy to get us back on track

[​IMG]
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    They are being sold for such little money too..
  21. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Do you honestly think any responsible breeder that has health tested their dogs would do such a cross.I could go on about this for pages as it really angers me when people are blinkered to this cross.Just take a look at the amount of these dogs in rescue centre's across the country [ let alone AB's and SBT's] and there's another good reason for not breeding this cross.
    As i have already said i would have thought the answer you are looking for is obvious but it seem's not.
    I think the less i say on this subject is probably best for me and the board as i would still like to be a user.