American Cocker; Secret Hankering....... General Chat

Discussion in 'American Cocker Spaniel' started by mishflynn, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish

American Cocker; Secret Hankering.......

I have a real Secret Hankering for the American Cocker, but ive only ever met 3 & then only Briefly.

What are they like to live with?
    Personalty? Trainabiliy? Cleverness? Food or Toy orientated? How much Coat care does that coat require. Also any Pics would be Fabulous!!!!!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    I met some in Northumberland a few years ago and was quite captivated myself. I did laugh though as their boy was called max but originally the wife had wanted to call him Heathcliffe but the husband absolutely refused as it would have been him walking the dog on the moors calling out "heathcliffe!". Tee hee.
    They seemed very personable and sweet but the coat does require some work if you keep it in show coat style.
    HTH
  4. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I think they are lovely dogs and proper dogs, I have many friends in USA who work them often as gundogs and know some who do agility too.

The coat puts me off - to keep in good condition requires loads and loads of care - I'd end up chopping it which would make such a fabby coated dog pointless ;(
  5. Holly-Rosee

Holly-Rosee New Member

Name:
    Holly and Ros
    yanks are lovely funny dogs and one of the only small dogs i would like,they do'nt act like little cuteies they are all dog the ones i know love their grub ( and every one elses given half the chance) the only reason why i havent got one is the coat to keep them looking good it take loads of work but they are great ros
  6. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Coat is a bit labour intensive if you want to keep it in show style, but you can have a good pet trim to make things easier (just make sure you find a decent groomer). Also can be prone to itchy flakey skin
  7. scruffydog

scruffydog New Member

Name:
    saz
    My sister has 2 they a lovely dogs very loyal, and intelligent, enjoy a lot of exercise and love to play.
    can get over excited easily.
    i will try to post some pics soon.
    there coat does need a lot of attention, if keep long, she brushes them every day and i groom them for her every 4 weeks.
    but you can have a shorter pet trim.