Anatolian Shepherd Mix? Questions

Discussion in 'Anatolian Shepherd Dog' started by Anderson4584, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven

Anatolian Shepherd Mix?

Hello! I am curious if anyone can take a stab at what my puppy is. She is approx. 1 year old, approx 45-50 lbs+. We rescued her as a "Shepherd mix". For a while, I felt she was Anatolian shepherd mix. However, as time went on, she seemed to be too small to be an ASD, even though she was mixed. She is a bit taller than our 4 year old GSD/BMC mix. She is around 22" tall at the shoulders I believe. Considering her black markings, and her tail, I feel like she could be ASD/Husky. Which might be the reason why she is as small as she is. She is the sweetest dog ever, but EXTREMELY dominant. As you can see in the bottom picture where she is sitting on our 4 year old GSD mixes head! :rolleyes:. We have had her professionally trained, and we have to be extremely strict continuing her training in order to prevent as much dominating as possible. Any ideas? :) And if anyone is confident in what breed(s) she is, would you have any idea on how big she may get? I know that's almost impossible to tell. Just looking for some opinions I guess :)

Attached Files:

• Leia.jpg
      Leia.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I can't see ASD x Husky giving that ear shape/set. I thought I could see a bit of a Bully look about her head - Pit Bull? - which might fit with your description of her temperament. Crossed with what, who knows?, something with a hound like ear. I'm glad she has found such a caring home. She is lovely.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Looks bit like Boxer X Labrador
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You could be right about the Labrador Tina. That is a better suggestion than a hound ear.
  6. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thank you for the replies! Yeah, some do see pit in her face lol. Also, some see labrodor. The only problem I think of if she is a Lab/Boxer, is where does she get the light fawn color from? Correct me if I'm wrong but Lab doesn't have a fawn color, and boxers fawn is darker. Almost like an auburn color.

One major factor that lead me to believe she is ASD, is she has double dew claws. Also, if you look at her face, check out her "eye liner". It just screams ASD to me. Her tail also curls up most of the time, which could be ASD, or Husky trait. What boggles my mind, is if she is ASD, the fact that she is only 45-50 lbs at approx. a year old. We are feeding her 3 cups a daily (1.5 in the morning, 1.5 in the evening). And she doesn't always even finish those meals right away. So I feel like we are feeding her just fine.
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Like all cross breeds the Boxador comes in variety colours [​IMG]
    images (1).jpg eb11c9c9c20eaf4588529639809b785a.jpg images.jpg
  8. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    True, I can see that. I will probably never know the truth. Just curious on other peoples' thoughts. That's what you get with a rescue though :) A mystery lol
  9. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    Maybe a bullmastiff somewhere in the ancestry?
  10. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    It's possible. At this point we are really at a loss for what she is lol. Although I feel she definitely has anatolian in her. The only thing that is pushing me away from her being some kind of mastiff/anatolian mix is her size. She hasn't filled out yet, but she is approx 1 year old, and only weighing 45-50 lbs. I put her side by side with a purebred, male anatolian shepherd in this picture:

Attached Files:

11. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    I am intrigued by your statement that you had her professionally trained - what did the trainer teach her? What methods did they use and how much were you involved in the process?

Personally I like to train my dogs myself (with guidance, if necessary, from a trainer I trust) because when you are doing things together and learning about each other you develop a stronger bond, trust and understanding.
  12. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    Sorry about the ridiculously late reply! I never received the notification, and I randomly just checked this forum and came across this lol. Anyway, it was a while ago now, but the purpose of the training, was to see if we could get our 2 dogs to co-exist. I wasn't involved in the training while she was at the facility, as she trainer said that wasn't necessary. Both dogs were there for 2 weeks. There was a lot of basic training, to get both dogs to realize neither of them were the boss. I'm at work right now, so I don't have the sheet with me. However, she gave me a detailed report on what to do going forward to stick to her training.

The training worked in the sense that she learned a few things. However, we did have to re-home the other dog unfortunately. If we were to keep the other dog, it would have been a huge risk with the baby there, and we didn't want to take it. Both dogs seemed fine around each other after the training. However, we couldn't let them have toys together, or laying around at all, we had to be a certain way with their food/treats, and with the baby coming, it wouldn't work out. Thankfully, my cousin was able to take her, so she has a great home!
  13. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    CaroleC likes this.
    While I'm here, here are some updated pics of her. I just took these last night. She's still on the smaller/medium side. And I'm pretty convinced she's about done growing. She MIGHT weigh 50 lbs now. But I think she's just shy of that.

Attached Files:

14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Perhaps it might be worth reading back on 6JRTs 'expertise' ?
  15. Anderson4584

Anderson4584 New Member

Name:
    Steven
    I probably wasn't entire clear when I initially said I had her professionally trained anyway. I do train her myself. It was just a specific situation that became out of my hands. I'm no professional trainer. I enjoy doing it, but I have a LOT to learn. Juggling a baby, and a full time job makes it difficult. So I think Muddy may have just been kinda mislead there.