Any Gordon Setter owners? General Chat

Discussion in 'Gordon Setter' started by pam2, May 16, 2007.

1. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam

Any Gordon Setter owners?

I'm looking for some first hand information on G. Setters if anyone out there owns one of this lovely breed. I have read up about them but it is not the same as living with one!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi Pam - what would you like to know.

I have 3 of the mad things but would happily have many more!

They are affectionate, loving, want to please, sensitive, cheeky, clowns.

They are definitely trainable- I show two of mine and also do agility with one currently. They excel in pleasing me.

Need a firm but loving hand - live alongside my two daughters wonderfully I can not highly commend their temparament in any way at all.

Great family members - need plenty of exercise but couch potatoes too!

gosh have a rambled enough!
  4. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    Hi Rachel
    I already own a lovely spaniel,a bit scatty but great natured, obediant on a good day! which is what I am looking for in another dog.I have always admired Gordon and English Setters, but didn't know much about them. I am getting really broody for another dog.
    I am looking for a good tempered, fun family pet, so it was great to hear such positive comments especially the trainable part:lol:
    I couldn't wait to speak to a woman I met in the park when I saw her with a Gordon, especially as you don't see many around, but she didn't have a good word to say about him, he was stubborn, noisy, and needed walked too much!! (didn't bother asking her to recommend a breeder!)
    Do you think the best thing would be to speak to a good breeder (if I can find one) to see if it is the dog for me!
  5. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    Hi Pam, and welcome to Dogsey :grin:

I just had to be nosey when I saw the setter name mentioned :blush: I don't have any Gordons but I do have 10 English Setters so, anything you want to know, I'll try and help you with :grin:

Rachel has already given you a bit of an insight into the Gordons, she will definately be able to help you if you want to go down that route.

Sheree
  6. eloquence

eloquence New Member

Name:
    mel
    just the irish setters for me, gordons and english - yeah i wish!

one day - i promise.
  7. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi Pam - let me see what I can do to find you a recommended breeder - they are talkative I will give you that - wonder what line the dog she had was! And they will go on forever if asked!

Bear with me and I will look into breeders in your are if I can - I have found the Gordons to be the most trainable (but I was told they are the most untrainable by someone!) - but setters of any type I love them - well who can't!!!

Have you rang the British Gordon Setter Club Secretary or Gordon Setter Association as yet?

Racking my brains who is your way!

I'll come back to you so don't worry - they are wonderful family companions and given the right training and time they CAN be trained!!!
  8. leospride

leospride New Member

Name:
    Dee

Ok ok, you've sold me. I want one :)