Any PRT owners? Questions

Discussion in 'Parson Russell Terrier' started by DogsRMyLife, Jan 12, 2017.

1. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog

Any PRT owners?

I have been looking for a dog for me and I was wondering if any PRT owners could answer some questions I have about them.

What is the difference between a broken and wired coat?

Are they kid-friendly if raised with them?

Are the bull-headed and stubborn?

Are they good in the agility and ratting?

How big do they usually get?

How much exercise do they need?

Those are a few things that I looked up and the internet gave me answers, but I need opinions from the owners of them.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    I don't have a Parson Russell Terrier, but a friend of mine has 7.

Coat: Smooth and Broken: Whether smooth or broken, a double coat of good sheen, naturally harsh, close and dense, straight with no suggestion of kink. There is a clear outline with only a hint of eyebrows and beard if natural to the coat. No sculptured furnishings. The terrier is shown in his natural appearance not excessively groomed. Sculpturing is to be severely penalized. Faults - Soft, silky, woolly, or curly topcoat. Lacking undercoat. Excessive grooming and sculpturing.

Stable Parsons are friendly and generally kind to children. Children should be taught not to tease or hit the dog.

Most terrier breeds are remarkably similar. The same words are used over and over -- quick to bark, quick to chase, lively, bossy, feisty, scrappy, clever, independent, stubborn, persistent, impulsive, intense. Terriers cannot be trusted off-leash -- they are too likely to "take off", oblivious to your frantic shouts, after anything that runs.

Here is a Parson Russell Terrier doing agility:

Here is a Parson Russell Terrier ratting:

The normal range of sizes is between 13–14 inches (33–36 cm) tall at the withers, with a weight around 13–17 pounds (5.9–7.7 kg)

A solitary or sedate lifestyle is not suited to a Parson Russell Terrier. He requires full participation in the family and vigorous daily play sessions, especially ball chasing, which he tends to be passionate about – even obsessive. Too little exercise, too little companionship, and too little mental stimulation will quickly lead to boredom, which will in turn lead to destructive behaviors. PRTs are not apartment dogs!

Like I said, I don't have a Parson Russell Terrier, but my friend has 7 and 3 litters of puppies on the ground right now.