Any Texas Blue Lacy owners? Photos

Discussion in 'Blue Lacy' started by Jpepper, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey

Any Texas Blue Lacy owners?

Just joined this forum and was curious if anybody is familiar with the breed or owns one of these dogs. I have two of them that I use for tracking wounded game and hog hunting as well as bay competitions and hunting varmint & retrieving birds. They are one of the most versatile breeds I've ever come across with such a high prey drive and enormous amount of intelligence with the personality that would rival that of a teenager. Oh and did I mention they are the State dog of Texas?

I wasn't sure where to post this thread because honestly it could be in the gun dog section or pastrial portion or even the hound section! I'll start here but mods please move this thread if you feel it should be elsewhere. I orginally put this thread in the working dog section but think this might be the correct spot considering they aren't a recognized breed.

Short video on Discovery Channel about the breed on "Life after people"

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Don't own one, but definitely an admirer of the breed.
  4. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    They look like Weimaraners with smaller ears :lol:
  5. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Maybe I'm the only one around here with this type of breed :p

I always get the "is that a weim mix" or "silver lab" comment although I live in Texas not too many people are familiar with the breed and have only come across a few who have known it was a Lacy dog.

They're a versatile breed and will do anything you want.... From retrieving birds to hunting down boars and treeing mountain lions to the smallest squirrel or sniffing out drugs or finding people they get it done. It's nice to have a do it all type of dog in your yard and not just trained or bred for something specific. They reach speeds up to about 37mph and can run long distances they work bred to work in the high Texas heat just need some water. Also the gyps weigh around 30-40lbs where the male usually weighs 40-50lbs.
  6. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Can you post some photos of your Blue Lacey's please? Would be nice to get a better look than in that video.
  7. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Mine are still both under 2 years old so bodies aren't fully mature but I'll post them up.

Check out this webpage she takes some amazing photos and majority of them Lacy dogs or other type of Cur dogs. On the right side of the page there are three links to different sets of photos on her Flickr account. Amazing photography!

http://www.truebluelacys.com/photos.html
  8. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Have to say it but if you don't like hunting do not open the link...
  9. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    Shelby, Huck, Roush - Huck is fully grown and half brother to Roush.
    [​IMG]

Shelby & Roush - Half siblings
    [​IMG]

Roush
    [​IMG]
  10. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Gorgeous dogs.
  11. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    This breed isn't for your every day pet owner and would likely destroy your home with out a daily job to do or hunt. They are a serious working breed type of dog and the organizations make sure it stays that way by placing them in proper working homes.

Site does show hunting and trapping as well as working ranch stuff. So warning if that is not your cup of tea.
  12. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
  13. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    [​IMG]

This is a book my breeder wrote and to my knowledge is the only book about the breed. If anybody is to consider aquiring Lacy dog should look it up lot of knowledgeable information. It's called the Texas Dog Manual by Sean Cockrell.

Roush & Shelby's mother Sissy Sue is on the front cover and Roush has his own picture in the book as well :mrgreen: had to mention it!
  14. Jpepper

Jpepper New Member

Name:
    Jeffrey
    I'm familiar with the dogs that person spoke of from being in the community. There are two registries for the Lacy dog the NLDA & TLGDA I don't try and get into the mix I've got friends in both associations and go to events put on by both. I know the TLGDA is the original for the Texas Lacy Dog and the NLDA formed when some members had a disagreement. Both of mine are TLGDA registered dogs.

Good photo. Come in Blue or Red or Tri colored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  15. SneaksyWhippet

SneaksyWhippet New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    They are stunning dogs. Such hypnotising eyes!
  16. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Love the look of those tan pointed lacy's! Lovely!