Anyone got a Tibetan Spaniel X Shih Tzu General Chat

Discussion in 'Tibetan Spaniel' started by luisa_rose, May 14, 2012.

1. luisa_rose

luisa_rose New Member

Name:
    Luisa

Anyone got a Tibetan Spaniel X Shih Tzu

Hello!

Chilli is nearly 2 years old & I'm just wondering if anyone has or has seen a Tibetan Spaniel X Shih Tzu who's shorthaired and black, white & tan?
    His brothers and sisters were long haired like you'd expect a Shih Tzu X to be like..
    When we first took him to the vets they mentioned that they'd never seen a cross like him before so I googled and googled but still have come up with nothing.

Any pictures would be great!!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Have you any photos of Chilli?
  4. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Have you any pics of Chilli because without one it's difficult to make any meaningful comment?

Tibbies can be a mixture of white, black and tan .... my 3 year old is white and sable (tan). As Tibbies have a much shorter coat than Shih-tzu I'm thinking that Chilli unlike her siblings has inherited her Tibbie dad's genes for a shorter coat ..... but a pic would be helpful!
  5. luisa_rose

luisa_rose New Member

Name:
    Luisa
    [​IMG]

This is Chilli as a puppy...he's not changed much to be honest

Thanks for you replies

x
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  6. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Thanks for the pic and my apologies to Chilli for referring to him as a "her" not a "him".

I can see what your vets meant when they said they'd never seen a cross like him ... neither have I! Chilli's muzzle seems too long and his coat much too short for a Tibbie, although the colouring is right and from what I can tell from the photo he appears to have the characteristic Tibbie "hare" paws.

Are you sure that Chilli's Mum's "other half" was a pure bred Tibetan Spaniel and not a Tibbie crossed with something else?

You could try looking at Tibbies.net which is the forum for the breed. Tibbies have very quirky personalities which distinguishes them from other breeds so it might be worth reading through some of the threads to see if Chilli shares any typical Tibbie traits.

But whatever he is .... he's a beautiful boy.
  7. zoeyvonne

zoeyvonne New Member

Name:
    zoe
    Wow I would've never guessed his parentage, he is a gorgeous little dog though :007:
  8. luisa_rose

luisa_rose New Member

Name:
    Luisa
    Thanks :) I'm definitely going to have a look at the site you are talking about. His mum was shih tzu and we only saw a picture of his dad but they claim he's a tibentan spaniel. My partner jokes that he was stolen but am so curious to know if there are any other dogs like him.

Thank you for your replies
  9. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Hmmm, he certainly has a much shorter coat than either of his reputed parents' breeds and a longer muzzle than either too. I can see why your vet was confused.:)
  10. luisa_rose

luisa_rose New Member

Name:
    Luisa
    He'll be 2 in August so I think I'll be buying a doggy DNA test because it bugs me so much! Didn't even think about it when he was a puppy because I thought he'd grow up to be just like his parents but he hasn't turned out like either of them. His dad (Tibetan) was a sandy colour and his mum was white! The people that we got him off of said "There was another like him but he's gone" Which is slightly funny thinking about it now because all his other brothers and sisters were still there when we picked Chilli up... :/ I'd love to see a tibetan X shih tzu like him!
  11. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    He is lovely. DNA Test? Do you have to go on the Jeremy Kyle show for that!
  12. luisa_rose

luisa_rose New Member

Name:
    Luisa
    Haha, possibly?! Read online somewhere that you can get a doggy DNA test done for something like £60 and it can tell you all the different breeds your dog has in him/her!
    He's very sweet looking but has a mind of his own sometimes! Especially when it comes to our other dog Bear! Although, I'm sure they work well together when trying to get their paws on something they're not allowed!!
  13. Chloe_jade2204

Chloe_jade2204 New Member

Name:
    Chloe
    Hiya, sorry for replying over 5 years later but ive just seen this thread while googling my new dogs breed. He is a 3/4 shih tzu cross 1/4 tibetan spaniel.

His name is gizmo and he was born in november 2016 :)

Attached Files:

14. Chloe_jade2204

Chloe_jade2204 New Member

Name:
    Chloe
    GsdSlave likes this.

Attached Files:

15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a gorgeous little dog! Perfect name for him too!
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Chloe and Gizmo and welcome to Breedia :039:

Gizmo is certainly a very cute little pup! :grin:
  17. ksboshers

ksboshers New Member

Name:
    Kelley
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3014.JPG I think I have the same kind of puppy . She is 12 weeks old 4 lbs .. mother and father are both shih tzu and all brothers and sisters were long hair just like shih tzu s are suppose to look.. but she is clearly different .. she is much smaller than they are as well .. everyone thinks I am crazy .. any advise ?? We love her no matter what she is ..
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Kelley and your adorable little puppy, welcome to Breedia from Tikva and from me :039:

What is your little bubba's name?

Tbh I cannot see any Shih Tzu in her so maybe her dam had a sneaky second mating with another dog, which could also cause her to be smaller than her litter mates.

But oh, she is just adorable! :049:
  19. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Interesting. This led me to Googling Smooth Coated Shih Tzus and Prapsos, (stemming from Perhaps its an Apso - apparently because there is known to be a smooth gene that surfaces in that breed).
    Even so, your puppy does not really resemble the other photos, having a longer muzzle, and - at least at the moment - no ear fringes. However, these smooths do always seem to be described, like you say, as being smaller than their fully coated siblings. Do have a check on Google for yourself, and please let us have a follow up photo in due course. Thanks for posting, I'm fascinated.
  20. Joyceho95

Joyceho95 New Member

Name:
    Joyce
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Here we are a few years later...

My Chewbacca is 2 years old now and I’ve been trying to find out forever what mix she is as well! When I got her, the owners told us she was part Shih Tzu and Maltese... but she didn’t look like either mix! Then I thought she was long hair chihuahua mix, but I’m starting to think now that she is mixed Tibetan Spaniel and Shih Tzu!!! When chewie’s hair is short, she looks exactly like Chilli (OP), but different colors obviously :)

Attached Files:

21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Hello Joyce, what a sweet picture of Chewie. She seems to have a look of Chloe's Gizmo, (above), but who knows? I suppose you could try a DNA test, but I hear of as many doubtful results as positive ones. You love her, and that's what counts. Welcome to the forum.