Anyone have any experience with Otterhounds? General Chat

Discussion in 'Otterhound' started by tallulah0710, May 31, 2012.

1. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare

We're looking at getting a couple of pygmys. Just waiting for my holding number, OH to get the fencing sorted and going to visit a breeder near me to look at her herd and joined the 'British Goat Society'. So exciting! :grin:

Apparently only the full males smell, castrated males and females shouldn't smell at all.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare

Not spoken to breed rescue yet, the 'Otterhound Club Rescue' is listed on the KC website. Is this the official rescue for Otterhounds?
  4. betsybrownstein

betsybrownstein New Member

Name:
    Fran
    The Rescue Co-ordinator for the Otterhound Club is Helen Hacking, full details are available on the Otterhound Club website. With them being a vulnerable breed not many come up in rescue but from time to time they do. As with all breeds it is important to contact as many breeders as possible, near or far. As there aren't many otterhound breeders this isn't to difficult! Ask as many questions as you can and be clear on what you want your otterhound for - Pet, Showing, Working, Breeding etc. All breeders will have contracts for their hounds and should be made available to you.
  5. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    Thanks for the info, I think the next step is a bit more information gathering then to actually meet the breed.
  6. betsybrownstein

betsybrownstein New Member

Name:
    Fran
    There is an Otterhound Fun Day that is held every year. This is a great way to meet the breed and owners. It's open to all - you don't have to have an Otterhound to come - and is great fun. Details are:

Otterhound Club Fun Day
    Sunday 9th September 2012
    12pm - 4pm
    Manor Farm Feeds,
    Green Lane,
    Oakham LE15 8DX

Let me know if you need more information.
  7. tallulah0710

tallulah0710 New Member

Name:
    Clare
    Thanks for that. It's only a couple of hours away from us which is good. Glad it's a Sunday so I wont be working. I'll let OH know and see if he wants to go and meet some Otterhounds.