Anyone met an Italian Spinone? General Chat

Discussion in 'Italian Spinone' started by Azz, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Anyone met an Italian Spinone?

Anyone met one? What was he/she like? What do you think of them? Are they less hairy than German Wirehaird Pointers? :lol:

I fell in love with the one at Crufts this year :049: and @Ballybee's Dan is gorgeous too :D can't wait to see more photos of him!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Azz likes this.
    well i've certainly met a few ;) They are not less hairy, well they vary in coat (Dan has 1 litter brother thats pretty much bald and one thats more like an OES than spinone) but it's softer than a GWP.

Spinones are supposed to be very placid, laid back, friendly, etc etc...i obviously got stuck with the nutjob but he makes people laugh and he is pretty gorgeous :p
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Does he bark at noises Al? What is he like with strangers? Aloof? Or would he happily go off home with them? :lol:

Did the moustache take some getting used to? Does it dry fairly quickly or is he forever 'wet'?

I totally agree with your last four words :D
  5. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Azz likes this.
    sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. Spinone make an amazing noise called wookying (yes like chebacca) He can be a bit nervous of strangers but as he's getting older he's getting more confidant, but never aggressive to people. If they had a toy he'd be their best friend :p

The beard is almost permanently wet, on the rare occasion when it's dry it's gorgeous but it feels like it's always wet...or crunchy :eek:
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Mr friend's mother had one. She said it was the best dog she has ever had. And she's had a lot, ranging from, literally, Chihuahuas to Great Danes. It had a wonderful temperament and everyone who met it fell in love with it. I would imagine it would be very rare to meet an aggressive one.

Dammit, I've talked myself into wanting one now.
  7. Ballybee

Ballybee New Member

Name:
    Alyson
    Janet likes this.
    They are lovely, can be quite a nervous breed but I do think most of them grow out of it :)
  8. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    The one I knew must have been about three by the time I met her, and she was very friendly and didn't seem nervous at all - I don't know what she was like when she was younger. I'll try and remember to ask next time I see my friend!
  9. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    We regularly bump into 2 on our walks (same owner litter brothers) lovely dogs but far to hairy for me.
  10. Imana-Banana

Imana-Banana New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Azz likes this.
    I have one in my Sunday class and he is Fab, have watched him go from a rather bouncy young man at 7 months old to a much more mature responsive chappie at 16 months. He's never been shy either, at least not with me but then again I do always have pockets full of food.... ;)

The owners would happily have another one :)
  11. doghiker

doghiker New Member

Name:
    Joshua
    Azz likes this.
    Ive met a couple in my life
    one of them struck me as the most intelligent dog Ive met
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    My old Tweed used to train obedience with a Spinone. He was easily the most laid back dog I have ever met. What they are like as working gundogs, I don't know, but this chap did everything that he was asked, just did it in his own time. A big hairy mutt with a heart of gold.
  13. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Azz and CaroleC like this.
    Big hairy mutt with a heart of gold sums up the ones I've met too. Quite a gentlemanly breed
  14. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Azz likes this.
    This is one of the breeds I have been curious about. Great thread!