appendix General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Nov 22, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

appendix

I had a really long weekend, woke up Saturday and brang blue for a run, anyways got home about 3 and around 4 I had intense pain where I couldn't even stand we had to call an ambulance and the next day I had my appendix removed and they also found out I had the beginning of a small blood clot in my belly I'm in alot of pain and blue is having to be kept separated from me incase he jumps on my belly which is really upsetting to me, he hasn't been on walks since Saturday, however he went on one tonight as I'm the one who walks him he is misbehaving and walking badly for my mum and at points was running on the lead on the walks, I don't know how long it will be till I get to walk him,we're saying hi to each other behind a gate because he does like to jump up to say hello and I can't take that risk. has anyone had there appendix removed and how was your recovery and is there anything I could tell my mum to do to help with blue as she has a hernia and he can't pull her.Also blue seems abit weird with me he like I've abandoned him or something any help would be grateful thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave and katie134 like this.
    How old is Blue?

He'll soon be OK with you again once you are recovered. Plenty of play will soon see him back to your best friend again. At the moment, I imagine he's wondering what's going on, but dogs are very adaptable so he'll soon get over it.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and katie134 like this.
    I hope you are soon feeling better Katie.
    Don't worry about Blue, he doesn't understand why you are not able to play with him at the moment, but it will not be for long, you are young and you will heal quickly. Ask Mum to hang on in there for a few weeks, you will soon be back taking charge again.
    I had breast and ovarian cancer in 2012 and, because of surgery and the effects of chemo, my husband had to take over walking my dogs for a bit more than I would have liked. It wasn't ideal but we got through it, and you will do the same. Put Blue on a lead in the house, and let him sit by your side for a fuss. He will soon realise that he hasn't been sidelined, but needs to be gentle with you for a while. Best wishes.
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    katie134 likes this.
    Dogs will pick up the hospital smell on you just give him a day or 2 for the smell to go & he be okay with you again.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    katie134 and CaroleC like this.
    Sorry to hear that you are poorly, as others have said try not to worry too much about Blue his whole routine has been changed but dogs are pretty adaptable.

Have you got a back garden that mum could play ball with him and indoor mind games can tire a dog out just as much as physical exercise.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    katie134 likes this.
    Oh Katie - so sorry to hear about your op and your sore tummy, and hope you feel better soon. :052:

As has been said, Blue will soon learn that he has to be gentle with you - dogs pick up on such things very quickly. My Griffon tribe - I think I had three at the time and my cat had to go into kennels when I had a hysterectomy and two breast tumours removed, and once they were brought home [after two weeks] they all came up to say hello but never tried to jump on me or even get too close, apart from a swift sniff and a pat from me so they knew that I and their home were still there.

I think they were just happy to be home and see that mommy had not deserted them, although Ginnny-the-cat just took one look and went out! The Griffs just seem to know, and just sat by my feet, never trying to jump up.
  8. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank you for replying everyone , blue is one Chris , I'm so sorry to hear that carole and Malka it really is horrible , we do have a backgarden but it's muddy and he won't run in the mud ,we have a doggy gate and his at the end of that all day looking depressed for himself because he can't see me. I'ved fed him treats and rubs behind the gate but to go infront of it I think I need to be abit more stronger incase he does jump to be able to push him off . He usually gets 2 walks a day and a run in between and his really had nothing much so his routine has really been changed , I'm missing him so much as well it's killing me not to let him cuddle up to me but he is a big lapdog and he will lie on your head if he could lol . His also took to humping my little brother non stop since I'ved not been around which hasn't been fun for him , but hopefully in the next week I'll start to get a bit better , I just don't wanna have to go back to the beginning of teaching him how to walk nicely on the lead again as after this its gonna hurt quite abit if he did pull .
  9. BellaBoo16

BellaBoo16 New Member

Name:
    Emma
    CaroleC likes this.
    The quickest way to stop him pulling your mum over is to get a halti, don't get me wrong they are a quick temporary fix until you are back on your feet again but they do work VERY well. I got one for my staffie as my partner has fibromyalgia and hasn't got much strength in the arms so when I can't walk Bella due to work which only ever happens once a month I know my partner can and I don't have to panic.
    They can be brought from any good pet store and aren't expensive, they go over the dogs nose like a muzzle would but the dog can still open their mouth, play fetch and eat chews/drink water. You attach the halti to the collar and the lead to the halti, as the dog pulls it gently turns their head to the side and stops pulling completely, I used one on a German shepherd once and it worked a treat to get him to walk to heal.