Are basset hound really the hardest breed to train? Discussions

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by K'Ehleyr, Jun 23, 2011.

1. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah

Are basset hound really the hardest breed to train?

Hello :grin:

I am the pround owner of a new Bassety pup, granted she is only half Basset Hound (the other half being SBT). I already have a SBT and did loads of reading up on Bassets and SBTs before I got her. I read Bassets are stubborn, unwilling to please and the hardest breed to train. I was a little worried that she would be a rebel :shock: So far my 9 and a half week old pup knows her name, sit, paw, roll over, down and she goes outside for the loo. Granted she is not 100% at any of these but she defo has basic understanding and responds well. So...I was just wondering what do others think of Bassets....is what I have read true and her half staffy side making her willing to work (she is willing to learn to do anything for chicken :lol: ) or is what people say just a generalisation and the rules of individuality apply. Really interested to hear peoples views and experiences if you are willing to share :049:
    Sarah xx
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chris57

chris57 New Member

Name:
    chris
    hi, I have a bassett x bedlington terrier, he is nearly 4 years old and is as stubborn as the day I bought him home at 7 weeks.. Archie will only do what he wants to do. He is house trained, answers to his name, but will only come to you if he wants. After I got him I researched both breeds and found that they are both the most stubborn dog breeds there are. But he is very affectionate and cute so I will put up with him.
    Chris
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Sometimes I think there is almost an inverse snobbery about dogs and it is almost a contest on who has "the hardest breed to train" ;)

Let's get real, how many Basset Hounds do you see competing in Obedience, SAR, sniffer dogs etc etc?

They were bred for a purpose, and that was not to respond with "how high?" when told "jump"! ;)

All I would say is today's compliant pup does not necessarily translate into tomorrow's obedient adult.

You may be lucky, your dog has more of the SBT traits than a BH, (after all we know SBTs can and are trained up to compete very successfully in obedience, working trials, agility etc).

Good luck.
  5. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Well i took on an adult basset hound 2 months ago. My other dogs are border collies and GSD, the basset has definitely been a learning curve!

I wouldnt say they are the hardest breed to train...is there such a thing?
    But she is hard work...she has recall and general manners (such as when told no) but i am yet to succeed in getting a 'sit' ...lol, she has her own mind and if she does a command that i ask of her it is usually because she was going to do it anyway! She sees training as pointless and im sure i can see disgust in her eyes when she watches my other dogs doing as asked!

I'm sure if i had had her as a puppy things would possibly be different...she is definitely quirky!
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    One thing I have noticed with the Bassets I have worked with is how into their food they are.......gives you a nice opening ;)
  7. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I would agree with SB. Bassets are brilliant... at doing what they were bred for.
    As with any breed - why not appreciate their strengths and work with them?
    `Stubborn` is the single minded persistence (in following a trail) that has been bred into them for hundreds of years. You don`t want a hunting dog getting a bit bored after ten minutes and wandering off to smell the flowers. You want him to keep his nose on that scent and stay there all day if needed.
    So why not do some scent games with him instead? :grin:
  8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Name:
    tumbleweed
    Try training an Afghan hound !!!!!

Tumbleweed
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    When I was in Santa Barbara many years ago I had the privilege of watching an Obedience Competition where no BCs were (at that time they were not on the AKC register) and I was impressed with some of the Afghans (this was not some puny local competition or standard either) ;)
  10. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Thanks for the replies. Will be interesting to see how she turns out. She is such a lovely little thing. She is only a pet anyway so as long as she has good manners and learns the toilet training that's all that matters.
  11. rune

rune

I think our winner takes all system can work against 'other breeds' in our dog sports.Thats why the qualifying is so nice for owners. It gives them something to work towards which is attainable and will give them a 'reward' when they reach it.

Its why the GC is so good, your dog doesn't have to be the best---it just has to reach a standard.

Just to add---personally I like the winner takes it system but I can see that it has a lot of down sides.

Sorry---bit OT!

rune
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  12. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I would really like to do the GC with her actuality :)
  13. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    When I was teaching horse riding on Wimbledon Common many many decades ago, an Afghan hound would frequently break loose from his owners and gallop beside us, happily keeping pace with the horses, head up for a scent of game.
    You see - that dog, in spite of never having been closer to the desert than walking past the Iranian Embassy, knew exactly what he was meant to do. :002:
    So... all you need is a good horse and some Lawrence of Arabia robes and you`ll be fine. :grin:
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Not strictly true now.

Working Trials - it is the qualification that counts, winning does not really matter until you get to ticket, so you can get the whole set of initials without winning.

Agility and Obedience and HWTM I think now have the ability to have warrants and "exs" after their names to reflect achievements.

So we have moved on! ;)
  15. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

All breeds are different of course
    But if you find what floats your dogs boat then you get on much better
    Taking into account what they were bred to do as well and working with that

But I think if people can train mice, rabbits, cats and chickens to do agility then I doubt any breed of dog is untrainable (you tube it - so funny - the mouse is amazing)
  16. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    I'm not sure if they are the hardest so much as they crack you up to the point where you can't train them seriously! I mean just look at those sad droopy faces!

And oh my, when they run...

[​IMG]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Every time I would try to call him over to me I'd be laughing too hard to be understood!
  17. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    omg in pain laughing. He is lovely. What an amazing face :lol:
  18. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    I wish I could take credit but the picture isn't mine (nor is the dog!) Its just a famous picture I stumbled on while googling and saved it ever since. Every time I see that face... :lol:
  19. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I know a gentleman who has had Bassett Hounds for over 40 years and he said the secret of training them is to spot what they are going to so next then give the command for this so you can fool yourself they are obeying you!

I was also at a training class years ago with a lady with a Bassett, sometimes she would be almost in tears of frustration with her dog's behaviour. She got the problem sorted in the end-she went and bought a Border Collie and bought that to classes instead!

They are lovely natured dogs but I think you have to be realistic re the obedience side of their temperament!
  20. chris57

chris57 New Member

Name:
    chris
    this is a pic of Archie my bassett x bedlington
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  21. bijouinnuendo

bijouinnuendo New Member

Name:
    kim
    I think Kerry has hit the nail on the head lol. Both of mine were 'trained' ie they would sit went it suited; retrieve when it suited; come when it suited etc etc etc. But if they put a rabbit up my goodness they could run forever. Never caught one though :)
    We occasionally used to go out with the Albany pack and the hunting bassets were such a different breed to the show ones. Much longer legs and leaner for a start but the show bassets mixed very well and used to hold their own to a point.
    Two more delightful dogs I would be hard to find but my goodness they were stubborn at times too.