Are beagles difficult to house train? Questions

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by Jcarpentier, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Are beagles difficult to house train?

Hello,

In your opinion are Beagles difficult to house train? I have heard they can be. Thanks!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    From the few I've known no, besting thing I'd say is there alertness to any outside sound that might be prey that they seem to go crazy over.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I have only had two Beagles - both rehomed.
    Eddie was about 4 months when I got him. He had not had any housetraining, but I don't remember having any problems at all with him. Though hounds do have a reputation for being slow to housetrain, I think observation, routine wee breaks, and patience in all weathers, works for all puppies. In my other breeds I have always found boys quicker to train than the girls.

Merry was a problem, she took 6 months to housetrain, and about another 4 months to become totally accident free. BUT: She was 6 when I got her, had lived all of her life in kennels, had had litters and been spayed, and also has dilute urine.
    Housetraining is not something I would worry about in taking a puppy or youngster.
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for the info! I am looking into different breeds of dogs and love it when people who actually have experience with the breed respond. I don't like to go on hearsay. Thanks again!