Are their any flock guardian breeds working in the uk? Discussions

Discussion in 'Working Dogs Forum' started by Murf, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf

Are their any flock guardian breeds working in the uk?

Do any farms in the UK use flock guardian breeds with their livestock??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Apparently so, I've heard of working CAO in the UK, though personally I don't see the point. We don't have a great deal of bears, wolves and sheep rustlers over here.:grin: I do know of a few in the US however, Estrelas, Kangals, CO, CAO and other LGDs are used a lot on ranches in rural areas.

I keep promising my Estrelas I will buy them some goats to guard one day. Keiko the Mal would want to eat them though!
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Would be interesting to see..
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I couldnt work out were to post this either mods ..lol
  6. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Section seems appropriate Murf :)

What do all the abbreviations stand for Gill? :lol:
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I believe i read something about some people using them with their Alpacas and Llamas?

I may be wrong.

Cannot remember the breed either

This post is not much use is it? :)
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Alpaca can certainly stand up for themselves! (I talk from experience LOL)
  9. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I would love a flock guarding breed to look after my horses and stuff in my fields :lol:

I've had numerous things stolen from my horse fields, and we would love a couple of Alpacas and some pigs but no doubt they wouldn't be there for long :x

My other worry is that someone would take the dogs :lol:
  10. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    CAO=Central Asian Ovtcharka
    CO=Caucasian Ovcharka ???

LGD=Livestock guardian dogs...
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Maremma's with the alpacas
  12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    This is on the increase, and rising at an alarming rate - there have been a couple of reports in the last year on local TV here in the West. On one occasion police randomly stopped a motorist near Bristol and found several stolen sheep in the boot of the hatchback! On another, police saw straw sticking out of the boot of a car and thought it odd, so pulled over the driver and yep - stolen sheep.

There was also a report of it on Countryfile last week, where sheep farmers in Northern Ireland are having biometric details of each sheep recorded.

I wonder if they would succeed if there was a Maremma or Ovcharka to reckon with??!!
  13. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    No way!!!! Well I wouldn't want to mess with a guardian protecting it's flock, maybe that's the way to go.

With regards to Alpacas - Isochick once told me people use these as guards instead of dogs!!!! Eek!
  14. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Wot Murf said
  15. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    A place near me uses Llamas to protect the trees at xmas as people kept getting in and stealing them.
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    llama or ovcharka ... lol
    choices choices
  17. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    The guardian of choice here seems to be Pyranese, but we also the the odd Maremma or Caucasian Ovcharvka. Pyrs seem to be preferable due to a softer nature with people. But they are fierce enough protectors. We've sewn up a fair few after getting into it with Coyotes and the like.
  18. Luke

Luke New Member

Lots of people use pryanean mountain dogs in with their flocks of sheep to protect from foxes, loose dogs, etc. There's a farm not far from here who has a beautiful huuuuge girl working on the farm, you read about it quite often on a lot of the small holding forums etc.
  19. ste

ste New Member

Name:
    Steph
    I'd like to see someone steal a sheep from a maremma protecting their flock, plenty of working maremma's here, and they can be fearsome:shock: I give areas where there's sheep a wide birth.
  20. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Do you have many predators in Italy ?
  21. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    Yup, Llamas and Alapacas are traditionally guardians themselves in South America.

They are excellent sheep and poultry guardians, and will, for example, see off a maurauding fox. We are thinking about getting a couple of gelded males for our poultry... not sure what the dogs will think!