Are white Standard Poodles rare? General Chat

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by Jackie, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Are white Standard Poodles rare?

Has anyone been watching that animal programme in the evening,.... around 6ish I think, where they are involved in TV programmes??

Anyway , did anyone see the two white standard poodles being dyed pink last night..

But what puzzled me was the owner and presenter said they are rare!!

Surely this is not true ...is it??

Fabulous dogs by the way, the old gent was a retired show dog, the little girl was manic....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. IsoChick

IsoChick New Member

Name:
    Shelley
    They can't be that rare, can they? There are 2 living near me..... (not pink ones, sadly!)
  4. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    Erm... I didn't think they were!

Up until I got dallies and hence went places I knew they would be, I'd seen more WSPs than dallies!
  5. Razcox

Razcox New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I saw this as well its called Lights, Camera, Animals and is on channel 5 at 6:30pm.

I didn't think white was that rare a colour either!
  6. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I think it`s more that the Standards aren`t that common. A friend has one and she keeps getting asked if it`s Doodle of some sort! They`re great dogs, but do tend to suffer from daft hair-cuts.
  7. Lottie

Lottie New Member

Name:
    Lottie
    :lol: Claire&Daisy

Yes they do bless them - there's a black one walks in the local park and he has a show cut (of sorts) I prefer the working cuts.
  8. youngstevie

youngstevie

I take it they don't mean ''Pink Ones'' are rare:lol: :lol: :lol: Man up the road has two STUNNERS, 1 white and 1 Black.....I think they are fabulous, wouldn't mind one myself.;-)
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    No, I did not think they where rare either...

Stunning yes, and I do like the white ones!!
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    LOL:lol: no , they where dyed pink for the tv add.
  11. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    I have always hated the stupid things that people do to their poodles! Although i do understand the origins of the "bobble" hair cut. We have a rescued giant white poodle and everyone asks what he is as he has a simple straight, short hair cut so no one recognises him as a poodle. Very noble creatures IMO.
  12. youngstevie

youngstevie

Thank goodness. Have to say Patrick quite surprised me as he likes the look of them too....;-) Who knows maybe one day.:lol:
  13. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    There are quite a lot of standard poodles here most of them are white . There are hardly any miniatures or toys though ( I have a miniature ) I don't like the silly haircuts either :?
  14. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    Speaking of odd shows.. Anyone else caught 'groomer has it' ? Now there's a show I am becoming bizarrely addicted to!
  15. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Strangely the 'silly hair cuts' are the working cut and that is the one most people use in the show ring, personally I prefer the lamb cut which is what is used on the puppies.
  16. Woodstock

Woodstock New Member

Name:
    Vicky
    To be fair Pita, i did mention the history of the hair cut although the show version is a much exaggerated version of it. Also what i meant is te other extra pompoms i have seen, painted toenails, pink dye etc.

Actually i met some French farmers a few years ago on a shoot and they all swore blind that poodles still make the absolute best gun dogs which i totally understand - intelligent dogs that are good in water. Except for mine - he loves jumping in and then panics that it's too deep and whines until he has got out. Then repeats an infinitum! The terriers show him up every time ;)
  17. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    I remember watching a dog IQ program challenging stereotypes.. As I recall the poodle did end up the dimmest dog, but I though he just came across as the most dependant on his owner and the best trained... In one of the tests he sat with a towel on his head for hours! :lol: All the poodles I have ever met on the field would have wiped the floor with him!...

A lot of it depends on the individual dog I suppose. Not sure about dyed dogs though.. Just looks odd and unnatural to me. There is a pink and a green poodle on the titles of the 'groomer has it program'. In their first test they had to groom a toy dog made of wool and they all used spray dye to add colour in some way... must be an American thing! Maybe white standard poodles are rare in the US?

I remember seeing somewhere online people that did this to their Samoyeds too.. I'll have to see if I can fond the pictures, one poor doggy had a teddybear shaved and coloured on their bum!
  18. Hanifynn

Hanifynn New Member

Name:
    Robbo
    Having met a Standard Poodle that my oh walked for a friend I would agree that they are one of the most intelligent dogs. Lovely temperament and very athletic. The colour of this poodle was apricot which I thought was the most common colour for standards.