At my wits end! Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica

At my wits end!

I am at my wits end with Mila!:eek: I take her outside to go potty & we go on our walks. Normally she poops OUTSIDE but lately we'll spend an hour outside then when we come back in she poops inside!!:mad: this isn't the first time shes done this. I discipline her & she knows she did something wrong. But yet she still poops inside!:mad: Why is she doing this??! I know she can hold it because if we all leave the house to go somewhere shes excellent! No mess no nothing! So why does she sometimes poop inside? Im a very frustrated momma here!:eek: lol need some explanation! :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Disciplining Mila will not help because she will not understand that she has done anything wrong. She needed to poo so she did, and for whatever reason she did not poo outside but then did it indoors - maybe the exercise or being out on a walk triggered off her bowels so once she was in she just had to poo?

Please do not discipline her - pick up her poo and clean where she did it, to remove any odours that might make her think that it is a good place to poo.
  4. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    True about disciplining her. She still poops inside sometimes anyways. I just wanna figure out why she does it sometimes inside. Its winter time here...if that helps any. I keep her on a potty schedule & get her outside when I think shes gotta poop. It works sometimes then times like this morning after we came back from our walk she pooped inside. I just don't know what to do.:(
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    OK - Mila poos, pick it up with a tissue and chuck it down the loo. And clean where she poo'd.

It is coming up to winter here as well, although it has been hot again today, but I know that Tikva will not go outside to pee or poo when it is bucketing down with rain and I cannot take her out.

So when the rains are really heavy I will put a puppy pad down because she knows that it is OK for her to use one.

I know that a lot of people do not agree with using pads but Tikki had to be pad trained and even now I will still put one down if I know she will not go out. It is definitely not for everyone but it suits Tikki, suits me, and I had a lot worse than just a poo from my Pereg.

Do not fret Jessica - Mila is not deliberately poo'ing in the house. She poos when she has to and if it is too cold/wet outside, sometimes keeping to a schedule just does not work with all dogs.
  6. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank u for the advice! My husband joked with me about it being too cold for her to wanna poo. I said oooh nonsense! Shes a malamute! They're bred to be in 20 below freezing temps! Lol:D I said she does pee & poop (sometimes...lol) outside so the cold shouldn't bother her. She loves the snow!:) I just wanna know why she sometimes will poop inside. Thank God I have hardwood floors tho!:D makes clean ups a breeze!:D
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Mila is what, about a year old now? Yes she should be able to poo outside however cold it is and her being a Malamute - but sometimes what should be just is not, and in such cases I think you should just accept things and hope that it will not last forever.

I do not have hardwood floors, I have stone floors but I do have a non-fitted carpet in my salon and a small one in my bedroom. And if you only knew what my beloved Pereg excreted not just on the floor, in my shoes, on my couch and also on my bed - you sort of get used to things. Not that I would wish that on my worst enemy.

Tikva will very occasionally pee in her crate if I am unable to get up in time - her crate is lined with a puppy pad and the sleeping end, half of the crate, is where she curls up to sleep. But if I am unable to get up in time she knows what a pad is for, and as I change her bedding every two days it is no problem if she has to pee in her crate. But even when she was a tiny and far too young unweaned puppy, I honestly do not remember her pooing in her crate.

But I had two human babies and was used to changing them - no disposable diapers in those days either. So I a probably not the best person to give you advice about Mila pooing indoors. Sorry Jessica.
  8. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Awwe its ok!:) I have 4 kiddos & have had my share of messes!;) I shouldn't complain cuz I know it could always be worse!:eek: Im just trying to understand & figure out why Mila sometimes poops on the floor. If its something I can fix & work with her on then I'll certainly do my best to help her out!:D
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Eddie prefers to poo on his walks, and will do up to three on a 45 min walk.
    Merry only goes occasionally on a walk, she has far too much sniffing to do, and I think she prefers to do it in the run anyway. She comes home and will sometimes have her lunch before going - in fact, I think eating is often the cue with her.
    She never has pooped the house, but I think she could well need to if she wasn't given a second chance after the excitement of the walk, and the food, have died down. It is all part of learning to read your dog, no two are identical. Try giving her a few more opportunities to get it right, and go over the top showing her how pleased you are when she does succeed!
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Mila poos where she does because she needs a poo at that time. I cannot suggest anything but can only say that she should grow out of it. But please clean up where she poos so there is no odour to make her think it is OK to poo there. I can suggest something that I get from the US and I am sure others can also suggest basic household products that will clean up all odours so Milo will not think it is OK to poo there.

I do not know how young your kiddies are but as long as they cannot be in physical contact with Mila's poos, assuming she is regularly wormed - maybe she just prefers to poo in the warmth?
  11. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thank u!:) I definitely do make a big praise for when she does poop outside. Maybe I otta bring a few treats next time she goes outside? Since I give her treats for letting me brush her, she stands still & lets me brush her all over with no complaints!:D shes gotten much better with that!:D so I'll bring a few treats in my pocket & when she poops outside I'll praise her & give her a treat :)
  12. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Oh yes I immediately clean up the poo piles!:) my kids r 8yrs & under (1 in diapers still...shes 1yr old). One of my sons generally will alert me of the stinky pile!:eek: lol. I just pray she'll outgrow this & we'll work thru this!:)
  13. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    It does help if you can have a set routine feeding / walks, every dog is different in regard to how long after they've eaten that they need to go poop so it’s a case of trial and error.

After walks if she hasn’t done it outside, keep her confined to the room you are in watch her carefully for signs that she’s going to go indoors then just take her out immediately, with a cue word to toilet.
  14. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks!:) i will try confining her to a room Im in (like if im upstairs I'll close the gate to the living room) & keep an eye on her. Usually if she eats I figure she'll need to poo before we sit down to eat dinner. If she doesn't go before we eat dinner, then I'll confine her & watch for signs. ;) I'll just keep working with her!:D she has come quite a ways tho since we got her. Shes more mannerly & is much better with brushing & playing with the kids :) she loves to play in the snow with them!:) when I get a harness for her, I'll have her pull the kids around in the sled:D lol she did once already & loved it! Lol I just need a harness for better results :D