Basset Griffon Vendeen Discussions

Discussion in 'Basset Griffon Vendeen (Grand)' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Discussion Thread

Discussion Thread New Member

Basset Griffon Vendeen

Basset Griffon Vendeen
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. spinyap

spinyap New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Is there any one else out there who has a grand , i have a little girl white and sable called Lulu who was 2 in December
    spinyap
  4. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    My friend in Lincoln breeds both Grands and Petits :D
    She's also a judge and shows too :D
    [​IMG]
  5. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    I have a Grand! :mrgreen: I've wanted since 1990 when I saw one at the LKA show but it wasn't until last year that the time was right for me to have one.

I have to say they really are the most fabulous dogs to live with :) They have so much character!

Debs
  6. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    and I can vouch that Giddy is rather gorgeous! I prefer the Petits myself.
    Becky
  7. spinyap

spinyap New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    It's great to met other Grand owners out there , Lulu is a little monster , she thinks she's the boss of our older laid back spins .
    I've only lost her half way down a fox hole (which i believe is brilliant for a grand) even though she is never fully off her lead i have a 50 foot track lead .............do any of you let yours off the lead .
    Lulu as such a brilliant nose for scent that i just cann't take the risk specially when two beagles got killed last year in the woods we walk they got the scent of a deer and chased it onto the road and were hit , Lulu is do special to us for that to happen .
    Do any of you show or do agility ?
    Lulu already shows and we are thinking of joining a agility club as she seems to be brilliant and we would like to channel her engery
    hope to hear from you soon
    Spinyap
  8. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    I'm lucky enough to part own 3 acres of woodlands with interwoven paths through them that are purely for walking the dogs in. Everything is fenced with 8ft deer fencing. Gideon goes loose in there and I have to say his recall is pretty damn good for a hound - but he does have 2 sighthounds and 2 collies to learn from who all have good recalls.

I showed him last year and he won well, taking a RBPIS at his only Open show and Best of Sex at one CH show and BOB at another whilst still a puppy, plus 7 BP at Ch shows. He might be at the gangly junior stage this year so who knows what will happen :) He is absolutely bottom of our pack and never tries it on too much :lol: but then, he's only just out of puppy.

Debs
  9. spinyap

spinyap New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    Hi Debs
    He's certainly doing well in his show career , are u at crufts this year ?
    It sounds certainly like the perfect set up , Has Gideon never challenge his place in the pack?
    I was wondering if it was because i have a bitch only house hold?
    This hound thing is certainly alot different for me as i've always had gundogs and never had this i'll do it in my time when i've just investaged this smell ............which is alot more interesting than boring old mum who will still be there when i've finished .
    I love her to bits but Lulu been a very steep learning curve for me , comparing to my gundogs
    I know that her mum is a very busy girl and loves to be out about investagating, so i wonder if this is inherted , sadly i've only since her dad in pictures.
  10. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    No, Giddy won't be at Crufts this year as I'm judging my other breed there so can't enter him. I don't think he'll be out in a breed class this until May.

The only time he ever grumbles at the others is when they all have a chewie or a bone and the others try to steal his :lol: Even then, I think if they pushed it he'd back off. Everyone who meets him falls in love with him :mrgreen: The other day was a new record for us - we joke about how far round the market we can get before we get stopped because someone wants to say hello to him :roll: :) On Saturday we managed to get about 10 feet from the car :lol:

I'm totally enamoured with the breed I have to say. I understand where you're coming from going from Gundogs to Hounds. When I got my first Pharaoh (from having a Collie!) in the early 80s I didn't know what hit me :lol: Hounds can be hard work - worth it all - but hard work when you're not used to them. Tell you what - I'll lend you a Pharaoh for a week - then you'll see how wonderful Lulu is! :lol:

Debs

Debs
  11. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    There is a grand and a petit who live near me, such jolly boys:grin: Oh btw can you post some pics???!!!;-) :lol: They are lovely dogs!!
  12. surannon

surannon New Member

Name:
    Debs
    This is the only one I have of Gideon that hasn't got copyright restrictions on it LOL

He was six months old and at his first show where he won RBPIS :mrgreen:

[​IMG][/IMG]
  13. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Gideon is just gorgeous !:p
    Another breed I would seriously consider having,
    More pictures please everyone..:grin:
  14. tink

tink New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Gideon is a real stunner,I love seeing these dogs and usually have a good nose when i'm at shows with Alfie lol !
  15. amethystbelle

amethystbelle New Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    aaaaawwwww what a gorgeous dog :smt049

This is a breed i would love to own in the future, not fussed petit or grand i love them both :mrgreen:
  16. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Aw Gideon is gorgeous:grin: Think they look such happy dogs... the two I see always want to make a fuss....awwww!!! Another dog for the ever growing wish list me thinks!!!!!;-) :lol: