Bearded Collies - any pictures Photos

Discussion in 'Bearded Collie' started by claudeen, Jan 11, 2008.

1. claudeen

claudeen New Member

Bearded Collies - any pictures

I had 2 beautiful Bearded collies when I was a teenager and they were the loves of my life, (now have NI's) never thought that I would love other dogs quite so much as my Beardies, but I was wrong, love my NI's to distraction. Anyway would love to see any pics of your Beardies.;-)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    We don't have any beardies at the moment although the other shepherd on the estate has a few working beardies. But here is my OH's old Beardie, Bill :) He was a working beardie as opposed to the show type ... so may look a little different to the type you are used to.

I would love to work a beardie one day :)

[​IMG]
  4. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I've got two Beardies but it won't let me add any photos! :shock:

Laura
  5. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    I would love to see any Beardie pictures too please :grin:

Years ago I knew a girl who trained and worked with the 'Bothkenner Beardies' and had one of her own 'Bobby' who was a really lovely dog (are you out there Jo). I always understood the Beardie picture on the vetzymes tin was a Bothkenner, not sure if this is correct :grin: .

Beardies remind me of big shaggy Schnauzers and I would love to have one but sadly they don't fit my small house or lifestyle but I will always include them among my 'wish I could have' dogs :)
  6. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
  7. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I've added my website link to my profile, my Beardies are called Mop and Ted and are under "The Hairies" I've only got a very slow rubbish dial up connection so the thought of trying to use photobucket fills me with dread!

Hope thats ok.

Laura
  8. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Jeannie of Bothkennar was the dog on Vettzymes JDS Shampoo bottle JDS stood for Jeannie Dog Shampoo so I assume she may have been on other things:grin:

Here are some of my Beardies

Cava
    [​IMG]

Una
    [​IMG]

Cassie
    [​IMG]

Zymi
    [​IMG]
  9. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi Anne,

I met you at a dog show in Leslie a few years ago, I remember Una very clearly. Do you remember? I had a smooth coated blue merle BC in tow, called Loeki he was a very nervous rescue and I might have had a little brown and white JRT with a tail with me too. I can't for the life of me remember what I was doing there. :-D

Laura
  10. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi Laura
    Thought it was you:smt002 You came to meet me after we had "met" on Dogs Today forum:)

Una went to the bridge in 2004 I have Cava and Zymi now. Wish I could see your website but just got hyroglyphics when I clicked on the link.

Where did you get your working Beardies?
  11. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi Anne,

I got Mop from Selkirk and Ted from Dumfriesshire. Both are from working parents and the breeders main dogs are beardies, they are both Shepherds (they both had at least one Border tho ;-) )

Mop is absolutely fantastic, really friendly and obedient and already showing great potential on sheep. I hope you manage to get onto my site, there is a video of her in action. She is my comedy dog and always making people laugh. Ted hasn't been on sheep yet as he is too young but he has a lovely character too, and he lives up to his name, he is a real Teddy bear, very hairy already. Mop hasn't got as much hair as Ted, I'd be interested to hear how much you think she'll end up with, she is 8 months in those photos. Both her parents are quite hairy and we saw an older full sister who was VERY hairy.

Mop has a bit of eye, not a lot, but I think she will be quite classy. She also does not bark or bite as people warned me she would, really she is no different on sheep to a Border of the same age. I am totally smitten with the pair of them.

Laura

PS Mop has blue eyes!
  12. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Moobli :) Bill looks a real character, Beardies always look to me as if they are smiling , are they as good as BC when working?

Had a look at your site Laura, 'The hairies' ar just lovely :p (posting your site in your profile is ok ,you should put a link on your site to Dogsey, here is how to do it ..http://www.links.dogsey.com/links/1.htm ) How do you find the Beardies compare to BC when working?

Anne :) your Breardies are just lovely too particularly Una.Interesting about Jeannie of Bothkenner, I expect all the Bothkenners are long gone :-( . Jo the girl I knew with Bobby went to work in South Africa ..maybe she will read this some day...
  13. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi Mini,

I already put a link to dogsey from my site :)

I don't find Mop any different to a Border, but I particularly like free moving tough Borders which are probably closer in type to a Beardie. When I got Mop, her breeder said that her mother at lambing time is able to catch a ewe in the middle of a field and if she breaks to the flock, she can get that one ewe back out herself, when he was describing her I thought she sounded exactly like my Ghost who is a Border, and my main lambing dog. I have been asked many times if he has Beardie in him tho, lol.

Beardies are generally used for rough work, and getting an outrun on them can be the hardest thing. However my friend has had Beardies with great outruns over the years so I expect they are just all different like Borders. Some are natural outrunners, some have to be "made". Mop has a bit of natural cast so I am hopeful she will be a good outrunner.

I do find their attitudes slightly different, Mop in particular is really focussed on me and doesn't really bother with running around with the other dogs, she'd rather follow me around. Also there is the Beardie grin, which is very appealing.

I intend to run Mop in sheep dog trials if she is good enough, people have got used to my odd coloured Borders so time to shake them up again ;-)

Laura
  14. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Laura :) oh yes I have noticed the 'Beardie grin ' 8) .
    I do so hope you are able to run Mop :grin: if you do please try to video it sometime ;-)

I would love to see more Beardies working sheep, this is a sight I have seldom seen. I guess there could be a problem keeping their coats in order at certain times of the year, and this could be one reason they are not used as often as BCs.
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I have never worked a Beardie, Mini, but would like to do so in the future.

My OH has had a few Beardies in the past but has always said he would never choose a good Beard over a good Border Collie. Each to their own I guess :grin:
  16. CorrieDhu

CorrieDhu New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi Mini,

I don't think it's the coat so much as they are often clipped along with the sheep. I will probably have to clip mine in the future - my Borders are bad enough when they've been in the pens all day. Beardies are more often used in the pens than in fields or on the hill so you would be less likely to see them. There are a lot less of them, and I think there is a bit of a prejudice against them. People always say they couldn't stand the noise however mine aren't noisy at all, so I think it's what they are allowed to get away with rather than them being a genetically noisy breed!

If I ever run Mop I will get it videoed, worst case scenario I might get 250 pounds from You've Been Framed ;-)

I've got an outtake from the training video of her, where she spots the video-er and other people standing at the gate watching, three times she looks round in complete surprise still in full flight keeping the sheep together, it's really funny.

Has anyone seen the chap, I think he is called Colin, who does photo stories with his working beardies, I believe he used to do agility but had to stop because of health problems. The photos are the funniest thing I've ever seen. He has a very pale brown one called Sandy and a dark grey one, I can't remember his name at the moment.

Laura
  17. Woody

Woody New Member

Name:
    Ann
    Another beardie owner here. This is Woody, who didn't have a very good start but he's turned into a big softy now. I've also got 2 beardie crosses and another small scruffy cross. I'd really like another beardie some day

[​IMG]
  18. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Woody :) another smiling Beardie :grin: doesn't Woody blend in well with the corn stubble..8)

..Mop is quite the little character isn't she , I love the name :lol:
  19. dollyknockers

dollyknockers

Name:
    n/a
    Your dogs are all lovely xdk
  20. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I don't have a Beardie but my mum and dad have always had them. All from the same breeder in Wales and all from working stock. They have always been big dogs not small like those in the show ring. Here are some pics of my mum's Beardie, Megan. She is 6 years old and definitely a mummy's girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the best pics but the only ones I have on this computer at the moment.
  21. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Hi Sarah :grin: I love Megan ....