Beardie types Discussions

Discussion in 'Bearded Collie' started by jennyk, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jennyk

jennyk New Member

Name:
    Jennifer

Beardie types

I am thinking of adding a bearded collie to our family of border terrier, 2 cats and two fell ponies. We used to own two beardies, the last one died in 1995. One was very much an old working looking type although bought from a show breeder. The second was much more the show type but had a very soft coat. We are much more interested in the working looking type which we believe is much closer to the original dogs bred by Mrs Willison in the 1940s and 50s. Have just discovered that Lynne Sharpe who I remember from our small involvement in the beardie world in the 80s has broken away from the main body of the breeders to reintroduce the more working, original type. Any information from the members here would be appreciated.
    Jenny
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne
    Hi and welcome:grin:

I have 2 Beardies one a rescue from working lines and one KC registered Sallen.

I know a couple of people with Brambledales but haven't had much actual direct contact with the dogs themselves.

These are my boys brown is my Sallen who is the most wonderful dog to live with

[​IMG]

This link might be of interest
    http://www.workingbeardies.co.uk/
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Working beardies are sometimes advertised for sale in the Farmers Guardian newspaper, so could be worth a look.
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Lynne's dogs are lovely & very much of the pre potterdale era now she has gone back to basics using working beardies.

A friend of mine has just mated her bitch to a working dog as she realises what I told the Beardie people back when 99% of people were queuing up to use Pepperlands Lyric John at Potterdale & doubling/trebling up on him, they have reduced the gene pool & bred in autoimmune/temperament etc problems. My Beardies only had 4/5 generation pedigrees & none I bred had any potterdale connection.

Here is the dog she used
    [​IMG]

Working beardies don't make good pet only dogs they do need a job & lots of activities