Bedlington terrier, info wanted General Chat

Discussion in 'Bedlington Terrier' started by tattoogirl73, Mar 17, 2012.

1. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne

Bedlington terrier, info wanted

at some point in the next year oh and i are planning on adding a new fur baby to our family. i'd like to foster or rescue, but oh would rather not risk conflict with opie,so would rather get a puppy. after all the fights we had between opie and jax, oh refuses to have two dobermanns again at the same time or any other large breeds so i've been looking at other smaller breeds, my favourites being poodles and chinese crested :007: what ever breed we get it will be a bitch.

we both agree that we like the look off the bedlington terrier. on one breed info site it says that they are not good with dominant dogs, and if challenged will fight. opie is dominant with large dogs, but will happily be told off by small dogs. when out with leanne (bailey's blind), her dog poppy is always putting him in his place. the site also says they need lots of exercise and mental stimulation which is no problem.

so what can you tell me about them?:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne
    not a popular breed then? :)
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    They are terriers through and through, with all the terrier traits to go with them.

I know someone who has one, she bought her because she liked the look of the little lamb lookalike, came as a big shock to her when Porsche gets shirty with other dogs, goes off chasing wildlife , and gets dirty.
  5. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    A wolf in lambs clothing...

Last Boxer event i went to there was one there who picked fights with every boxer who passed him by...
  6. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    I met one a pup few years ago and she was the cutest thing ever!

As people have said they are Terriers through and through, so just make sure she'll be a good fit with your current fur family.
  7. Tass

Tass New Member

Name:
    Tass
    Basically go-faster terriers, think whippet cross terrier :lol:

Some of the breed have a problem with copper toxicity so you want to check for that if you get one.

In Bedlington the council rubbish bins all have a picture of a Bedlington terrier on them 8)
  8. Luke

Luke New Member

Big difference between the working type and show type bedlingtons, wouldn't touch a show type really as haven't ever met one whos temperament I like. The working type to me have always seemed a more balanced terrier.
  9. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 New Member

Name:
    jayne
    thanks for all your replies :) it's going to be a few months before we get another dog so plenty of time for us to do some proper research. i've started meeting up with different dog owners with various dogs so socializing it won't be a problem so hopefully whatever breed i get will be dog friendly. after all there is no guarantee of that with any breed. i will be ensuring it spends a lot of time with my cats in the house, but like opie if the cats are out in the garden it will only be allowed out on lead to make sure that there are no accidents. this won't be a problem because the cats only go out at night for a few hours. we live out in the middle of nowhere so don't have to worry about neighbour hood cats.

thanks again :grin:
  10. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I've got a bedlington terrier x whippet and I think the naughtiness comes from the beddie lol.

When I went to collect her, I met her dad, who was the beddie and he really was a lovely dog. He let him out of the kennel and all he wanted was a fuss with my son, who was 2 at the time. I am talking about a working one though.

Helen
  11. Anniebee

Anniebee New Member

Name:
    Annie
    We walk with one in the mornings. He's gorgeous and has such a sweet nature a real cuddly boy.

He lets Kibo play with him, but when he's had enough of having a 5 month old puppy bouncing around he just wanders off and does his own thing.

As for recall, he comes back when his owner wants him to, but only in his own sweet time :)